cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deluge of 'failed email' spam

dianjo

Deluge of 'failed email' spam

I have had thousands of 'returned email' spam messages in the last couple of days - about half have been picked up as SPAM but most land in my in-box.  exasperating. Lots of them are to do with (US)  Federal tax, and others aimed at stiffening my 'pole'.  they all seem to be addressed to my plusnet address rather than my own domain address.  Any suggestions please?
thanks Diane
3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Deluge of 'failed email' spam

Looks like your email address has been hijacked by spammers.
With luck it should die down in a few days.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
zubel
Community Veteran

Backscatter
dick:green Link 'fixed'.
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the same thing happened to me, I was receiving many SPAM messages a second over many hours.
They were coming in so fast that my email client was so overloaded that my PC almost ground to a halt.
What I did to take back control was -
1.)  Disconnect from the internet - to stop further message downloads.
2.)  Used my POP3 email client to view some sample SPAM messages in "raw source view" mode.
3.)  I looked for common word patterns that only occurred in those unwanted message headers.
4.)  I used the email client's built in filtering rule tools to identify the unwanted patterns in the message headers so they could be identified whilst the messages were still on the remote Plusnet server.
5.)  Then if a message header was one of the unwanted ones, then I forwarded the message to the Plusnet 'abuse' mailbox and then deleted the original from the Plusnet server.
6.)  If a message was not one of the unwanted, then I had a rule to download those using POP3 to my PC - as normal.
7.)  Having identified the unwanted patterns, I then wrote another set of filtering rules to clean up my local INBOX of all the thousands of messages that had already been downloaded.
8.)  Reconnected to the internet, and just let it run.
Within a few minutes, my local INBOX was back to normal, and the remote incoming filter rejected any new unwanted messages BEFORE they were downloaded to my PC.
Fortunately this has not happened too often,  and most of my problems were just after Plusnet was hacked a couple of years ago, when all the customers email addresses were stolen  Angry