cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting email in WIndows 10 client do not move to Deleted Items and ae lost forever

bigtench
Grafter

Deleting email in WIndows 10 client do not move to Deleted Items and ae lost forever

When I delete an plusnet email in the Windows 10 email client I cannot undelete because if I then switch to the Deleted Items folder the email is there but very quickly then dissapears never to be seen again! What is going on with this client and Plusnet mail. My Google and Outlook mail accounts work fine.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Deleting email in WIndows 10 client do not move to Deleted Items and ae lost forever

What email client are you using?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bigtench
Grafter

Re: Deleting email in WIndows 10 client do not move to Deleted Items and ae lost forever

The Windows 10 built in email client - Mail Version 16005.11901.20184.0?

If I use Microsoft Office Outlook deleted email gets moved to 'Trash' folder on the Plusnet account.

Baldrick1

That suggests that you are using IMAP rather than POP3. This could be the reason as IMAP only temporarily caches the email on your computer. If this is the case then maybe the question should be why doesn’t it get moved to the Plusnet trash folder. This could be a Windows ‘feature’.

Moderator and Customer

bigtench
Grafter

Yes I am using IMAP - its the only way when you have multiple devices accessing the same account. It could be a bug in Mail but it works fine on my google and outlook account. Also I have many issues before with Plusnet mail servers not deleting emails - they just keep coming back - the opposite issue to what I have now!

Baldrick1

So that probably explains why it’s not in your deleted items bin. If you don’t download a temporary copy of the message you can’t expect it to be kept on the computer when deleted. Are you sure that there’s no deleted version kept on Plusnet’s server? That’s where it should live.

Failing that use a different email client.

Moderator and Customer

bigtench
Grafter

I disagree, when you delete an email it does not 'delete' it but copies it to the Deleted Items folder, just as outlook copies it to 'Trash' folder. As I say if I open the Deleted Items folder I briefly see the deleted message - but it then promptly disappears. I do not expect it to be kept on my computer - in IMAP all operations are carried out on the server.

If you look at the settings available on the Plusnet webmail client there is a bizarre one called '
If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them'. It is like this is happening with Windows Mail - but there is no setting for it and it is always failing!

Baldrick1

Using POP3 I agree it moves the message from permanently residing in the In box to permanently residing in the Deleted box until such time that it is deleted from here. It does not copy it because that would mean that it remained in both the In and Deleted boxes. The difference is that IMAP does not keep it in the In box as it only temporarily caches it. So when you move off the message it's deleted from the Inbox, consequently there's nothing to transfer to the Deleted box.

You need to remember that the message resides on the Plusnet server.so that you can access it from any of your devices. It is therefore logical that deleted/trashed messages should also reside there so that they can be similarly accessed.

Moderator and Customer

bigtench
Grafter

Sorry - I said copy but I meant move from inbox to deleted/trash.

You say it is logical that deleted/trashed messages should also reside on the server - absolutely right! - they ONLY reside on the server, which is why I want to know why they are being actually deleted from the server using this client. Changing client is a solution - but not a good one -  i quite like the simplicity of Windows Mail. I'm sure there are many users that stick to the built in Windows 10 client.

Baldrick1

Sorry, we are at cross purposes here. From your first post I assumed that you were asking why deleted IMAP emails were not being retained in your computer deleted items file.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Baldrick1 wrote:

That suggests that you are using IMAP rather than POP3. This could be the reason as IMAP only temporarily caches the email on your computer. If this is the case then maybe the question should be why doesn’t it get moved to the Plusnet trash folder. This could be a Windows ‘feature’.

This has nothing to do with IMAP v POP3 but everything to do with the functionally deficient in-built email application which ships with Win10.

The various iterations of "outlook" have performed variously well / badly in managing the deletion of emails compared to other's out of the same stable (WIn-mail or Outlook Express).  Prior to Outlook 2013 deletion was not managed very well at all, deleted items were simply greyed out or struck through … only disappearing after changing folders.

Communication problems with the IMAP server can also add complications.

The best advice here is to use an email client which is better than the WIn10 Email program.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.