cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted mailboxes when changing to new account

FIXED
Diss

Deleted mailboxes when changing to new account

In the last couple of weeks we moved house and in the process   switched to a new account adding other features.  There was a period when we had both accounts open;  lets call them    USERNAME  and USERNAME1 .

We queried what would happen about the emails (we have a number of mailboxes) on  USERNAME  once it was closed and we were assured repeatedly that they would be retained and we would have access to them.  We were told there might be a charge – which we agreed we were happy to pay.  But were subsequently told there would be no charge.

We had a series of problems getting the new account up and running but little by little they are getting fixed.  Consequently, we have needed to ring the PlusNet’s support team daily.  But we took each occasion to get reassurance that the emails would still be available – which we were told was not a problem.

Then two days ago we noted that emails were bouncing when sent to the various old mails boxes. But they would be still be viewed.  Then yesterday we found that all the mails except the default one were missing. On querying why this had happened, despite being repeatedly assured that they would be retained, we were told that they were irretrievably gone.   

Does this scenario make sense of what members might know of Plusnet’s procedures?  Surely there is a backup retained, even for a short while for whan errors such as this might happen?

As you can imagine losing access to a main email contacts and contacts  used  for over twenty years is causing untold problems.

7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Deleted mailboxes when changing to new account

Plusnet and email have a long and very poor history.

Indeed its presently marked as "broken".

You ought to have archived all emails onto a safe place, such as a PC.

Bit late now, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there. Thanks for contacting us via our community forums.

I'm really sorry to read this.

Firstly I'm unsure why we've created a new account for you, ideally we should've moved your services to your new address by doing a house move on your existing account. 

Secondly if you advised the agent who took your cancellation request you'd like to keep your email address they should've changed the account type accordingly rather than cancelling the account.

Thirdly, we keep snapshots(essentially a bit like a short-term archive) of mailboxes, so ideally we should've recreated your mailboxes then have raised this to our infrastructure operational engineers to check the archive and try to restore it.

I'll be listening to your calls and passing feedback on for the agents you've interacted with where appropriate as it sounds like we could've handled this a lot better. I do sincerely apologise for the experience you've had.

To try to resolve this, I've recreated your mailboxes as you had them. I suspect they'll all default at the account password, but you'll be able to configure them over at http://www.plus.net/email

I've also raised a task with our engineers (internal ref: INFOPS-4830) which should be worked within 3 working days but recently I've known any tasks raised to this particular team to be picked up a lot sooner.

I'll follow up when I've got an update, which should hopefully be tomorrow.

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for waiting.

I've got confirmation that we've restored your mail from the destroyed snapshot. Essentially anything which was in your mailboxes at the time your account was closed should now be back. Your address book I'm advised is still intact and looks to still be active.

Could you try logging into your mailboxes using the usernames you had and the account password letting me know how it goes please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Diss

This is looking promising, thanks you for your help so far.

I have noticed  on 'mange my mail' that all the original mail boxes have been reinstated when logging on to the account

When logging on to  webmail  (any of them) as   USERNAME+xxxxx   I get a “reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN “ message and am unable to proceed.   (message comes up captach verification empty

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all.

When logging on to  webmail  (any of them) as   USERNAME+xxxxx   I get a “reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN “ message and am unable to proceed.   (message comes up captach verification empty

I believe we've raised this internally and we're looking into this.

A workaround is to wait around an hour and try again. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Keep me posted. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Diss

Hello Anoush,

That all looks in order now.  Thank you for your intervention in this matter; it had brought much relief a distraught household.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm really glad that this is resolved now and you've got all your emails back.

No problems at all, if you need any further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet