cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Emails

Richywiseman
Hooked

Deleted Emails

Today, whilst I was searching for a particular email from last year, I noticed that the search stopped at 9/3/18. Upon contacting Plusnet via chat, it appears that Plusnet have deleted all my emails prior to the 9/3/18. The advisor said that I was informed via email that this was the case.

I really don’t remember receiving this, and if such an important event as deleting at least a years worth of emails, I would get more that 1 notification via email.

Is there any way to retrieve these? The advisor just said “sorry they are gone” is there anything else I can help you with.

Richy

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Deleted Emails

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Richywiseman,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience that this is caused.

Prior to the emails being archived on 09/03/18, you would have been sent three warning emails advising that your mailbox size had exceeded the limit and that emails would be archived if this not reduced. The warning emails are sent over a period of 2-3 weeks to allow time to do this.

As it's been more than 30 days since the emails were archived they have been deleted from the server and, sadly, we're not able to retrieve them at this stage. I would second the suggestion of setting up your email as POP3 on a mail client, as this will store a copy of the emails on your device as per @Gel's post.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Richywiseman,

Just in addition to my previous message, if you decide to add your email account to a mail client we have a guide to this here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/td-p/1390685

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) fixed link

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Wasn't it discovered that there was an issue with the warning emails not being sent even though a copy had been put on the account?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jelv wrote:

Wasn't it discovered that there was an issue with the warning emails not being sent even though a copy had been put on the account?

This Topic post #19 et seq

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Richywiseman
Hooked

I chose IMAP for various reasons, the main being I access my email on multiple devices, and don’t want to download to a “main” machine. Telling me I should have had POP3 won’t get me my emails back, but thanks for the advice. I thought that Plusnet servers were safer place to store important email, but this appears not to be the case.

My main frustration is that I certainly did not get any emails advising of this, and this is a real problem. You would have thought that, if deleting emails due to the mailbox being too large, you would at least start deleting them from the oldest to new in a rolling fashion, not just delete 3+ years of email, without ensuring that your customer has definitely had pre-warning.

Even once moved to archive, I had no warnings that they would be deleted, even logging into my account I had no warnings.

Maybe before deleting 3+ years of emails, Plusnet should have made sure I knew about this major event by contacting me.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Richywiseman

I suggest you insist that they restore your emails. If you read the topic that has been linked above you will see it has been done for others.

Once you have them back, have a look at http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ which has an option to incrementally backup IMAP mailboxes to a local PC.

You could back them to something like a Google drive folder so they are backed up on the cloud.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Am I alone in finding it a pretty poor show that a member of the help team - @EmilyD - didn't know about the issue of the warning emails not being delivered?

Richywiseman
Hooked

I have the transcript from my chat today, I kept it as I couldn't believe that the 'advisor' just said, sorry they are gone, can I help with anything else?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@jelv,

I find myself in deep agreement - Emily is a recent joiner to the team and there is some possibility she is not aware of the recently resolved issue.

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Richy. I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive any notifications to advise your mailbox was becoming full.

With regards to getting your mail back, I've dug into this and it looks like we may be able to do this. I've raised a task with our e-mail team. If successful, you should see them within 3 working days.

With regards to the adviser you contacted on chat advising definitively this wasn't possible I'll make sure I pass on some feedback internally.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like this was done a lot sooner than I expected.
Your mail should be restored now. Can you let us know if this isn't the case?

If your mail is all there can you also spend a few moments reducing the size?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richywiseman
Hooked

Many thanks for the support, I can confirm my emails are back. I shall now spend time going through them to reduce my mailbox size to manageable levels.

Richy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really glad to hear that Richy.

Apologies for any frustration/concern previously.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet