cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Emails keep coming back

colbee
Dabbler

Re: Deleted Emails keep coming back

And they all just came back again. Copy in my phone recycle bin. No such issues with other email accounts on this phone (Hotmail gmail and 2x 1&1 accounts
bigtench
Grafter

Yep - same with my phone email clients, Google and Hotmail no problems, just the plusnet mail.

I think what I see on Outlook 2010 on my PC gives a clue as to what maybe happening. If I delete a mail here instead of being removed from the Inbox (as it used to) it instead shows the email in strikethrough font until I select a different account and return, at which point they are gone. Alternatively I can 'Purge marked items' which also removes them. So it appears that the emails are not actually being moved to the trash folder, just marked for moving until the purge.

Come on Plusnet - you sorted this in January!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

What you see on your PC using Outlook 2010 might be misleading you.  IIRC OL2010 does not move deleted items to the trash folder ... note that this action is performed by the email client, not the email IMAP server.

Are you suggesting here that OL2010 when used with other email accounts behaves differently?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bigtench
Grafter

Absolutely, gmail account works fine from within OL2010, and not only that but until about 2/3 weeks ago the plusnet account also worked fine. Deleted emails would be immediately removed from the inbox and appear in Trash. None of this strikethrough and having to purge business. 

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Recently this has happened again. I deleted 3 messages from inbox without reading them, and within a few seconds they were back. Happened at around 10:15 today. May or may not be coincidence, but updating mailboxes seemed to take much longer time than usual during this period. Was using gmail app on Android tablet, set up for IMAP.

Edited 11:00am it's just happened again, except this time message disappeared before I could delete it a second time.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
kxthleen
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@maranello Can you DM me with your account username, please? I can then pass on all the information to the guys who are looking into this.

Kathleen Grief
 Plusnet Support
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've given up with the Gmail app on Android as it doesn't work properly! If you delete or move an email on another device it doesn't recognise that.

I've switched to using Aquamail. If I have the mailbox open on my phone and then delete an email in the same mailbox using webmail or Thunderbird on my PC it disappears from the Aquamail mailbox in seconds.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
maranello
Pro

@kxthleen

I tried to send you a pm, but apparently I have 'exceeded the allowable number of private messages'

I tried again later, and the error message was that you do not have private messages enabled!

@jelv

Aquamail has too much space taken up by ads when using a 7" tablet. But I get the point that alternative clients may not give the same issue so thanks for the suggestion

kxthleen
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about that, @maranello - could you try this again?

Kathleen Grief
 Plusnet Support
maranello
Pro

Hi @kxthleen

Still no joy sending you a pm, but I removed your name and added @Kelly and it was sent through successfully.

Must be a problem with your account

colbee
Dabbler

Any progress on this please ? Still an issue for me
colbee
Dabbler

Still an issue - have we been forgotten ?

hglynrogers

I too have been having the same issue on my Android phone. I use IMAP on BlueMail and whenever I delete an item from my inbox it simply reappears. I seem to be able to delete them in the WebMail environment via a PC browser, but who the hell wants to keep doing that? Please help. I do not have this issue with any of my other mail accounts (Yahoo!, Gmail etc.) only the PlusNet ones...

hglynrogers

Weird - spotted another issue online (Yahoo mails not deleting) and they suggested turning off the 'conversation' option in my app. Hey Presto! Deleted emails disappear as they should.

However, they come straight back if I re-enable 'conversation' mode.

Might be a clue tho'

bigtench
Grafter

Interesting find. Using Gmail on android it seems to be hit and miss now. Sometimes they stay deleted, sometimes not.Ill see how it works with conversation mode off.

Does not fix the PC Outlook problem though. Still emails just get strikethrough when deleted and do not delete until you purge - whereas on the Gmail account they just delete as Plusnet did before they broke it (again). It appears Plusnet are no longer looking into this which is very disappointing.