Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed receipt of emails from M&S to Inbox

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Delayed receipt of emails from M&S to Inbox

I've reported this before as part of a longer thread, but I thought I might get a better response if posted  on its own.

Messages of offers sent from M&S appear in inbox days after originally sent. @JonoH  has previously responded that this is due to M&S sending too many from one server in too short a time frame they'll start to get rejections and will try to resend at a later time.

This doesn't happen with other organisations, and having queried this with M&S they were not aware that this was happening and have not received similar reports from subscribers. This seems to be similar to the YouGov problem that needed Plusnet and YouGov to work together to resolve.

Is there anything Plusnet can and are willing to do to help?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
12 REPLIES 12
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Delayed receipt of emails from M&S to Inbox

@maranello wrote:

Is there anything Plusnet can and are willing to do to help?

We're happy to work with an M&S contact like we did with YouGov. We're even happy to publish what happened to the mail if we're given 

Senders Address

Time Sent 

and any error message the sender received. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
maranello
Pro

@JonoH 

Unfortunately I've only just seen your response, and in the meantime the messages have been deleted because the offers have expired!

Next time it is noticed I'll send you the email header, will this contain the information requested?

Incidentally, is there any explanation as to why I did not get a notification that you had mentioned me in your response?

JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

@JonoH 

Next time it is noticed I'll send you the email header, will this contain the information requested?

It should do, anything else we need we can ask after Smiley 

Incidentally, is there any explanation as to why I did not get a notification that you had mentioned me in your response?

No idea, It should notify you. Did you get one for this?

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH wrote:

@maranello wrote:

No idea, It should notify you. Did you get one for this?

I got a thanked notification, but not an @mentioned. Is this because it was included within a quote?

JonoH
Hero

Yeah, although I sometimes get them for quotes too, this one should alert you @maranello 

Jono H
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

IIRC some changes were made so that the appearance of a name link in a quote was not treated as a mention, thereby not generating a notification event or email.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

@JonoH 

Yep, got it

@Townman 

Any reason for the change, personally I would prefer to get notified even if the response wasn't aimed directly to me?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I do not recall.  I think people were (conversely) teased off receiving emails when they were quoted!

If I remember correctly, this came out of the GDPR changes.  Originally people's names were inserted in the quotes as plain text.  Then came the need to be able to remove references to people, so the names were replaced with live links, which were initially treated as tags … giving rise to swarms of email notifications.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro

@JonoH 

I have sent you a M&S message header via PM. It has appeared in the Inbox some time overnight Thurs/Fri, but is dated/timed as Weds 17:35.

JonoH
Hero

Looking through the logs I can see a large number of emails coming from M&S on the day that this was originally sent. Including emails arriving in the minutes either side of the original sent date on this example.

This would generally rule out something such as them sending too many emails in a short space of time.

As the delay is between their server accepting it, 12 Jun 2019 16:32:51 UTC, and then our server accepting it, 14 Jun 2019 04:24:06 UTC, it could be caused by a number of things. Though we’d really need to know what was happening on the M&S side and if they saw anything logged as to why that email was delayed.

On a different note, at least some of the emails they are sending are failing a basic SPF check. This won’t have been the cause of us delaying it, but as they’ve configured a hard fail in their records it’s entirely possible that there will be rejections out in the wider world, as such they're probably losing a large amount of mail.

Jono H
maranello
Pro

Thanks @JonoH 

Are these issues something you can and are willing to take up with M&S directly?

JonoH
Hero

If they get in touch I'd be pleased to help, that goes for any company. This looks like an M&S problem though but we can help troubleshoot, they really need to update the list of IP's in their SPF records or turn off hard fail though because I imagine they're getting a lot of lost mail at the moment from the likes of Gmail/Yahoo

Jono H