cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in receiving e-mails - Upto 12 hours

Bigjohn
Grafter

Delay in receiving e-mails - Upto 12 hours

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my in coming e-mail does not always arrive the day they were sent. My reason for saying this is that I normally empty the days e-mails last thing at night. In the morning at start up there are no e-mails in the in box, I normally get a few but so be it. During the day the emails start to come through and then out of the blue I see emails arriving in yesterday’s in-box. Even though they were not there when I cleared the in-box the night before.

This is very annoying if I am waiting, say for a code to change a password on some sites, the code does not arrive by return and when it does arrive it has timed out.

My other problem I have seen is that first thing in the morning sending an e-mail is returned as un deliverable, wait 1/2hour and resend no problem.

I did for many years use WML2012. So, I switched to Outlook thinking this would help. Un fortunately not. I am running Win7 pro.

Any suggestions please.

29 REPLIES 29
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Delay in receiving e-mails - Upto 12 hours

Moderators Note.

Moved to email from broadband
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bigjohn
Grafter

Hi dvorak, I must be a bit slow this morning as I do not understand your reply. John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John.

@dvorak kindly moved your post to a better area of the forum as it seems to be regarding an email issue.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing delays in receiving emails and unable to send emails reliably. Do you experience the same issues using webmail.plus.net?

This will help us narrow down where the problem lies.

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bigjohn
Grafter

Hello Anoush,

If I use WEB mail no problems.

Only with WLM 2012 and/or Outlook. I have one PC and two laptops and the PC started coming up with an error even though I may have just two words in the text:-

This message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts.

Subject 'Is it working'
Server Error: 552
Server Response: 552 X4rkffCaXEt9nX4rlfiVqd message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.
Server: 'SMTP.metronet.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

So then I switched to OUTLOOK. I no longer get error 552 but because it is not a consistent problem it is difficult to track down.

Some days I receive all the e mails on the day they were sent and then I get a period when they come in the following days.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the info John.

Do you experience these problems using your laptop too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I have seen issues with Outlook 2016 not down loading emails which are there to be down loaded on a non-Plusnet email service.  Looking at that service via webmail clearly showed that the email had been received.  It did not download to Outlook 2016 until the program was restarted.

As @Gandalf asked, do you see these email if you look at the email box via webmail?  If yes, then it points to an OL problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bigjohn
Grafter

I will have to double check when I have the problem with the PC running Outlook16.

Laptop's are running Win7Pro with WML2012.

Bigjohn
Grafter

Hard to know. I always have my PC on. I will have to run them together and compare the incoming e-mails. Thanks for your interest in this problem.

Bigjohn
Grafter

Just run a small test using WLM2012. on my PC. (No error message) E-mail sent to my self took 5 mins to come back to me. It was seen instantly on PN webmail.

Did the same using Outlook 2016. E-mail sent to my self took less than 5 mins to come back but was seen instantly on PN Web mail.

Bigjohn
Grafter

Just checked for any e-mails with Outlook.

Last e-mail was a self test which was sent at 19.45 and now in the in box.

Checked PN Webmail. New e-mail in at 20.00 but has not downloaded to Outlook.

Open up WLM 2012 and my self test and the e-mail from 20.00 down loads to the in box.

Checked again Outlook but no 20.00 e-mail.

Sent a self test e-mail via both WLM 2012 and Outlook 2016 both sent and received with WLM and Outlook. But the e-mail that came in at 20.00 still sitting in the PN Webmail. My guess is this will probably down load tomorrow morning.

WLM 2012 now not showing any error when sending e-mails. It would always say I had exceeded the servers limit.

Bigjohn
Grafter

Just update.

The e-mail that I can see on PN Webmail that came in at 20.00 last evening is still on the Webmail but it still does not down load to Outlook 2016.

It does not take a degree in IT to accept that Outlook 2016 is the problem.

But how to correct?

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bigjohn,

I would suggest removing the mail account from Outlook completely and adding the mail account again. A guide can be found here with the correct settings required. Let us know how you get on.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I would check the send/receive options in Outlook, it's possible that automatic send/receive has been disabled.

This is my settings.

Outlook send/receive settingsOutlook send/receive settings

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Did you do a close and reopen on OL2016?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.