Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with phishing request

drawyah
Hooked

Dealing with phishing request

HI

I got a phishing request. I contacted the bank it came from and asked if they would like a copy of the email they gave me a their phishing account name. I forwarded the email from webmail but it wouldn't let me send the mail as it contained spam. I deleted the attachment and then it worked.

My question is if the attachment looks like spam why wasn't it picked up on the way in.

Thanks

PS I would have asked plusnet but emails are not on the list of chat topic's and I'm not that bothered to ring them

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Dealing with phishing request

I think outbound checks can be stricter for this type of message, especially when forwarded. However the known phishing reporting addresses are meant to allow such messages to pass. Is the address you were using the standard one published on the bank's website?

David
drawyah
Hooked

Hi David

No I had a online chat with their CS she gave me the address. It wasn't a UK bank so maybe that's why.

The reason I reported it was it was quite well put together just came from a bank I never heard of

Thanks for the reply

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks. Smiley

Alternatively you could file a report to Action Fraud http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/. For UK bank spoofs they might ask for the email to be forwarded to a specific banking address, otherwise their own address with a reference they supply. (Santander counts as a UK bank.)

I'm not sure how they deal with reports for foreign banks.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is also the possibility that between you receiving the email and your attempt to forward it, the anti-spam service "learnt" to recognise this scam as spam.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.