Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CoudMark Spam filtering

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

CoudMark Spam filtering

A significant proportion of my perfectly legitimate mail - incoming - is marked as spam. For example, I have received today emails from East Midland Trains and musicMagpie, both of which are totally clean, but CM has decided to mark as spam.

If I didn't have spam filtering turned off, I would not have received either, and in the case of the EMT one, I would have missed important information.

This problem has been raised before, and was never fully resolved, although for a short time after my original post, the situation improved, but then quite quickly reverted to this unacceptable behaviour.

As I now have all mail delivered, it is not a big problem in itself, but I am now left  wondering how many emails I lost before I disabled the spam filter.

EDITED to add: I have a couple of emails which, for reasons I am not going into here, are sent to two of my PN inboxes, and quite often, one is marked ad 'spam', the other is received as 'clean'.Huh

John
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend

Re: CoudMark Spam filtering

I know I'm replying to myself, but this situation is getting silly.Roll_eyes

In the past two days, I have received two emails from my bank (NatWest), and they have both been tagged as 'SPAM' by CloudMark! Why oh why? I would have thought communications from such organisations would be some of the least likely to fall foul of spam filters?

John
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jab1 

In the emails which are being caught by the filter, are there any links or obvious marketing statements which might trigger the filter to catch these? 

It certainly does seem strange, and at the moment, I'm unsure of the best advice to give/way to proceed with this. I'm going to have to have a chat with a few other staff members and see if anyone has any knowledge of previous cases where this has been rectified. 

Due to it being the weekend, I'm not likely to have these chats until Monday, but I'll add this to the End Of Day report both today and tomorrow so it is visible to all of my team. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR 

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the reply, @MasterOfReality 

There are marketing statements/links in most of the emails being 'caught' by CM, but there again, most of my mail traffic in is marketing related (eBay/Amazon/Wordery &c), but one of the NatWest mails was merely notification that my statement was ready - a standard, generic notification with no marketing links which I have been receiving at least twice a month for at least five, maybe more years, with no problem.

The strange thing is, as I said above, most of my inbound mail is marketing, so I would expect a much greater proportion to fall foul of CM if this was the cause?

John
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

most of my inbound mail is marketing, so I would expect a much greater proportion to fall foul of CM if this was the cause?

Very true - it was just a thought as I remember dealing with a situation like the last year where marketing links et al. caused a very harsh filter. 

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for your patience for another day or so until i can put my head together with other staff members. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

jab1
Legend

No problem.Thumbs_Up

John
jab1
Legend

@MasterOfReality  Any thoughts yet? I can (hopefully) post headers if required.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi jab1, Alisdair's not in work today but it you can get a copy of the headers to me in the meantime I'll be able to take a look into it for you. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Okay Adam - I'll have a look later this PM - got to go out in 10 mins or so.

Shall I PM them? - seems the best way to me.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sure, just drop me a PM when you can then pop another update on the thread and I'll take a look. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@adamwalker PM sent.

In case it is not obvious, the mails are from FlowerCard, NatWest, Acronis, Apple, East Midland Trains and PayPal, in that order.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers jab1 I've cast an eye over the headers and can't see anything obvious that would cause CM to mark them. I'll make sure I check over them tomorrow with someone and will get back to you as soon as I have. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

OK, Adam, as you say, there's nothing obvious in the headers, but they all get 100% spam score.Undecided

I still have the full emails if needed.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yep, nothing obvious as to why that might be the case of course. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@JonoH Is there anyone other than @bobpullen who is able to bottom out issues such as this please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.