cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying folders from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook

decomplexity
Rising Star

Copying folders from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook

In Outlook 2003, I am trying to copy folders from a PN POP3 Inbox to a PN IMAP Inbox.
If the IMAP root path is set up as ‘Inbox’, I get the message “Unable to navigate to the Folder. You cannot create or navigate to subfolders of your Inbox when you have a non-empty root folder path”. 
If the IMAP root path setting is left empty, I get “This IMAP command could not be sent to the server before the connection was terminated”
The only way I can copy is to leave the root path setting empty and to set up a new folder (e.g. MyInbox) and copy the subfolder to that (or create a new subfolder with the same name as the folder I want to copy and then copy individual items from the folder).
However, leaving the root path empty gives the usual daft IMAP folder display with Drafts, Sent, Trash and Spam listed as subfolders of Inbox rather than separate folders off the root.
DAK why I cannot simply copy a folder to an IMAP Inbox?

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Copying folders from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook

Probably to do with the way Imap folders are created on the server and limitations in Outlook talking to whichever mail server you're using.
I tend to create folders directly, then check they exist by logging in directly (using a webmail interface) before bulk copying the contents one folder at a time.
Can be tedious if you have a lot of folders of course.
zubel
Community Veteran

The folder prefix is:
INBOX.
note the full stop at the end.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Tnx.
To Barry's interesting point, in what context would the INBOX. (i.e. fullstop suffixed) be used within Outlook? If it is the root path, it seems as if Outlook will still hiccup as it wants an empty root path (i.e. allowed to default) which screws up a sensible folder hierarchy.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017