Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Transfer Address book content

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Copy/Transfer Address book content

I want to transfer/copy my email address book from one HDD  ( E:/ ) to another HDD  (C:/ ) ..... both using Thunderbird, and both on Vista Home Premiium.
I have tried the Options route on the Address book, but nothing happens...
My Thunderbird Cache on E drive  ( the donor drive) shows some files but they are all like registry references and all dated 2010 or 2009 so well out of date.
I tried to transfer one or two, but they do not display properly,  ( on the receive drive).... so are useless.
The only way I think I may be able to do it is to set up my E drive into my second laptop, and copy and paste them via a USB stick.  Or physically enter them one by one, by re-typing them into the new drive .
3 REPLIES 3
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Copy/Transfer Address book content

I don't use Thunderbird so I am a little unsure. Do you not have an option to Import/Export? This is usually under 'File'. I know that on Outlook 2010 you can Export them to another device by saving the whole address book in different file formats.
Samantha

Hello Shutter, you can try these steps for copying the Thunderbird address book to a new computer, it seemed to be the best option for me.
-Start Thunderbird on the old computer/HDD.
-Click Address Book in the icon bar.
-Select Export from the Tools menu.
-Save the address book to your desktop, for example as a file named contacts.LDIF
-Copy the file to the new computer/HDD (over the network, thumb drive, e-mail yourself, etc)
-Start Thunderbird on the new computer/HDD
-Click Address Book in the icon bar.
-Select Import from the Tools menu.
-Follow the wizard and choose address book, then text file (LDIF), OK, and Finish when done.
I hope this helps you.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes, there is an import/export tab.... ( Options route described in o.p. )
did not work....
Thanks Samantha.... I managed to do something similar.... so got them all working...
Your "noddy`s guide" will remain within this thread, unless you delete it ! .... so could help someone else too.....