cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring email on 'HTC Desire S' mobile smartphone

robinblackwell

Configuring email on 'HTC Desire S' mobile smartphone

Hi,
I've just bought an 'HTC Desire S' smartphone on a Vodafone contract, and I'm having great difficulty setting up email on it. I'm sure I've entered the correct settings (POP3, Incoming: mail.plus.net, server port 110, Outgoing: relay.plus.net and server port 25).Emails send OK, but I can't receive anything. Has anyone any ideas please? Regards, Robin
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Configuring email on 'HTC Desire S' mobile smartphone

Are you viewing your Plusnet emails using your PC? If that uses POP3 it will download them and delete them from the server.  That would mean they are no longer there for your HTC Desire to find.
If this is the case using IMAP rather than POP3 on both devices is probably the best approach for you.
David
robinblackwell

Thanks for that. When I've been trying to set up the mobile, I've made sure that Outlook on the PC is not running. I've then sent a test email from the mobile to my email address, which never arrives on the mobile! However when I eventually run up Outlook on the PC, the test message is sitting in the inbox. Any other thoughts? Grateful for any assistance. Regards, Robin
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Are you entering the correct username for the mailbox?
This will be just username for the default mailbox (with password as used to login to the Member Centre), or username+mailboxname for an additional mailbox (password as set for that mailbox).
David
robinblackwell

Hi spraxyt,
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'm using the correct username and password - in fact Plusnet tech help confirmed it. I am entering a username+mailboxname for an additional mailbox, but I only have the one password for the username, and not different ones for the additional mailboxes. Should I have individual passwords for each mailbox? Regards, Robin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

but I only have the one password for the username, and not different ones for the additional mailboxes.

Each mailbox has an individual password. You may have created them all with the same one however. You cna change the password for each mailbox in the 'Manage my Mail' setting on the portal https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings and select 'manage my mail'. then select the mailboxes tab and alongside each mailbox there is an 'edit' option whcihj will allow you to change the password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I'm not aware of any reason why having the password for an additional mailbox the same as that for the account should cause problems..
Do you get an error message when your smartphone tries to collect mail?
Does it work if you select IMAP rather than POP3? That would require the incoming mail server set to imap.plus.net with port number 143 (it probably defaults to that port). The outgoing server settings don't change.
David
robinblackwell

Hi MisterW: Just looked in my little book of passwords and found I do have passwords for each mailbox as you suggested. The password for the account and for my mailbox is the same. Thanks.
Hi sprxyt: No error messages when trying to collect mail. I tried deleting the existing account completely and entering IMAP data. That didn't work, so I deleted that account and re-tried POP data and bingo, it now seems to receive OK. I'm pretty sure I haven't now entered anything differently, but at least it's working. Thanks very much for your help. Regards, Robin
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for the feedback. Pleased to hear you got it working by deleting the account and setting it up again. Just one of those frustrating computer orientated "happenings". Roll_eyes
David
David
hulls
Grafter

I would still suggest using IMAP, so that all of your emails are available on whichever device you're using.
John