Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting mail I have a problem

paulrm

Collecting mail I have a problem

Hi,
Just moved to Plusnet.
I'm trying to set up my email client to send and receive mail.
I am using Turnpike (yes I know it's getting on a bit) to collect and sort my families mail from various mail servers. (The non Plusnet servers still all work fine)
I am getting login failures at present trying to connect with {username}.plus.com and password, have also tried just {username} and password.
I have gone to Manage my Mail in the Members settings but it only has information about setting up a mailbox.
I'm not sure I need to do that as I only need to connect to the mail server and download all mail to my {username} domain so I can sort it my end. This is all I have ever done in the past and has always worked.
I'm guessing I might need to something different here.
Like do I need to set-up up a mailbox first, say as postmaster first, will that work?
So can someone help me out here please.
9 REPLIES 9
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Collecting mail I have a problem

Quote from: paulrm
have also tried just {username} and password.

That's how I'm set up in Outlook.
What email servers are you using?
paulrm

I'm using mail.plus.net for POP3 and relay.plus.net for SMTP
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Give Plusnet a ring, there's someone there and they are very helpful.
0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think that you need to have the email activated if you didn't request it during sign up
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Before you can use Plusnet mail you must set up a mailbox in Manage my Mail. You can call that postmaster if you like though I'd suggest choosing something more user-friendly instead. For instance you could use your first name (eg john) leading to a mail address of john@(username).plus.com.
Once that is set up you collect mail from it by logging in using username with your account password. The mail servers you mentioned are correct for POP3 and SMTP.
Having set up the default mailbox you can define additional ones if you wish, eg mary leading to a mail address of mary@{username}.plus.com. To collect mail from that you login as username+mary with the password defined when the mary mailbox was set up.
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, I seem to recall a couple of instances recently where the mail component of a new account hadn't been created properly by the automatic systems and needed a 'kick' Smiley
@paulrm, I see you've found the thread I recalled. Unfortunately the DCT ( Digital Care team ) only work 9-5 Mon-Fri so they won't see your post. As others have suggested you'll need to give the CSC a call to get it sorted before Monday.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulrm

Well I phoned Plusnet and it seems I have to set up a mailbox to get it to start working, so did so with my name and put that as the catchall.
But it's still not working I still can't receive from Plusnet mail, the same applies to sending.

Just tried Webmail and that doesn't work either so something is borked somewhere.

Well it's a first for me, I have never had problems with email before in the 16 years I have been online.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Did you leave it 30 mins for it to configure things for you or just how long did you wait?
That's RPM to you!!
paulrm

I was being my forever impatient self so I expected it to work immediately Smiley
But having tried it again just now it has started to let me log in but emails are not getting in or out yet, so I will test again later.

Edit:
Just to add an update, the mail system seems to be all working as expected.
So thanks for all the advice and suggestions.