Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting POP 3 email not

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Collecting POP 3 email not

@gaskelldave wrote:
(I should add that I've just tried 212.159.8.81 instead of mail.plus.net and POP is working again but still would like to know how to raise a ticket)

Sadly the ability for residential customers to raise tickets was removed some years ago. Sad

Phone and chat are available, along with posting here or via Twitter or Facebook.

David
weller1500

POP3 not working again this morning.

I'm getting through on 212.159.8.81

But we customers shouldn't have to faff around like this just because Plusnet's email server balancing is broken (again!!!)

Andrew

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

confirmed - flaming nuisance

bludgeoner

I to am experiencing the same error report 10060. it's been like this for 12 hrs plus so far.

I use a plusnet Hub on a fibre phone line i don't know how to changed pop 3 server address to 212.159.8.82.

Please Plusnet fix this issue once and for all.

gaskelldave
Dabbler

I don't know what POP email application you use but in Outlook, you can change the incoming server address by going into File / Account Settings.  From there, highlight your email account name and click "Change".  You will then see "incoming mail server" as one of the settings and it is likely set to "mail.plus.net".  This is what you overtype with the  212.159.8.82 then save and it should (hopefully) work.   If it doesn't then I would suggest setting it back to "mail.plus.net".  Yes, I know this is what it's likely set to currently so this won't fix the problem but if/when Plusnet eventually do fix the issue, it should start working again.  

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The odd thing I'm getting is that MailWasherPro (a program I use to filter out spam) won't 'download' the emails but if I then go to Thunderbird, they come in OK. Both are set up to use mail.plus.net, both on port 110. Can't see anything different and yet one works and one doesn't. I should add that MailWasherPro doesn't actually download messages off the server, it acts like a window to see what's on the server but the settings are POP3 and usually works perfectly.

I use Aquamail on my phone with IMAP and this works fine too.

Hopefully Plusnet will see there's a problem and sort it out.

Annie
Phaeton
Rising Star

Interesting is that my account checks 4 email address but it's only failing on 2 of them, of course it's the 2 most important, changing to IP doesn't seem to work on Googlemail

mapron

same problem. Again. I contacted PlusNet Chat and they said the issue was connecting with Microsoft email clients. They asked if I could get webmail and when I said 'yes' they said that that proved that their email service was fine! They really did me proud!

Phaeton
Rising Star

Well strangely enough I just sent to my webmail as I was expecting an urgent email it allowed me to login then advised I had 25 emails waiting, after 5 minutes they still hadn't loaded, but then miraculously they all arrived in Googlemail, but still not in webmail, but who cares I can now get on with my life, until the next time.

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I'm getting this this morning.  I've changed nothing on my computer.  Why isn't PlusNet responding about this appalling lapse in service?  I can send email in Outlook but the receiving function is sucking air.  Yes, I can go online and look at my email there, but what the heck is going on?

AngryAngry

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I don't know what POP email application you use but in Outlook, you can change the incoming server address by going into File / Account Settings.  From there, highlight your email account name and click "Change".  You will then see "incoming mail server" as one of the settings and it is likely set to "mail.plus.net".  This is what you overtype with the  212.159.8.82 then save and it should (hopefully) work.   If it doesn't then I would suggest setting it back to "mail.plus.net".  Yes, I know this is what it's likely set to currently so this won't fix the problem but if/when Plusnet eventually do fix the issue, it should start working again.

Didn't work for me. Embarrassed

(This function was under 'Tools' in my Outlook, not 'File'.)

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

212.159.8.81 works, not 212.159.8.82

Cool_smiley

iwrconsultancy
Dabbler

The reason some things will work, others not, is due to both of the servers being listed under the DNS for mail.plus.net. So it's basically random as to which you get. It seems like 9 is totally dead as it's not responding to pings, and most of the PN servers do.

If they can't fix 9 rightaway, then at least changing the DNS temporarily would mitigate the problem.  This would take about 4h to to apply across all of the interwebs thing, but hey it's been a day now so..

It might be they're not aware of the problem. Seems mighty hard to contact them these days.

I guess the majority of private users are on IMAP these days, which is a different pair of servers. We have some automated stuff which checks a mailbox, and doing that by IMAP would be much more difficult than with POP3. Besides, we want it to remove read mail. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You must be using an old version of Outlook @SkylineUK_Dup, The Tools menu was dropped in Outlook 2010.

gaskelldave
Dabbler

I've just tried to go onto Live Chat to report this (even though the replacement ip address workround is working for me) and the chat won't connect and is awful.   The last time I used Plusnet support it was quite user friendly and could raise tickets easily.  This recent experience over the last 24 hours and the absolutely terrible way in which they are making it so difficult for residential users to get support issues fixed is seriously making me consider leaving Plusnet.