Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from POP3 to IMAP

Wilfred123
Hooked

Changing from POP3 to IMAP

Hello,

I have been with PN for many years and have up to now always used POP3 to manage my emails.  I have just changed all my mailboxes over to IMAP as now I have so many devices that I check my emails on, i would like to have the accounts synced across all the devices which IMAP will do.

So far I have removed all my POP3 accounts and replaced them with IMAP ones using the recommended settings on the PN instruction pages.  So far so good, all accounts receiving and sending ok and the emails can be seen across all devices.

Problem I am having is that I am trying to copy across some old emails from my old POP3 accounts into the new IMAP folders as there are some that I would like to keep, not a great number though.  I can move them by dragging and dropping them from the old POP3 sent items into the new IMAP folders and they show on the local machine but they don't seem to want to 'upload' back to the PN servers. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am using Outlook 2013 if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Changing from POP3 to IMAP

That technique for uploading messages copied from local folders worked OK for me using Thunderbird, however I wonder if Outlook 2013 needs a nudge to force synchronisation.

If you select the Send / Receive tab then click the Send/Receive All Folders button does that prompt the required action?

David
Wilfred123
Hooked

Did try send/receive many times.  its not managed to fix the issue.  I will give it a go with Thunderbird

thanks

spraxyt
Resting Legend

To check this process out I set up Outlook 2016 to do POP3 collection from a mailbox that isn't on any other device..

Then within Outlook 2016 copied - using the right-click context menu - a message from this POP3 Inbox to the Inbox of a different mailbox accessed using IMAP..

I then moved a (different) message using drag and drop.

Without doing anything else both the copied and moved messages immediately appeared in the target Inbox on Thunderbird (same W10 computer) and in the mail app on my iPad. So for me this is working synchronising as it should. Huh

David
Wilfred123
Hooked

thanks for checking.  I think the problem could be down to the speed of the servers.  If I copy 1 very small email it might copy across but if I try and do a bulk upload (say 10 at once) it just seems to stall.

Wilfred123
Hooked

Further Info -

I downloaded Thunderbird and set up one of my Old POP3 accounts and an IMAP account.  Copied accross from the old to the new and as you suggest, no problem at all.  old emails appearing on all devices.

Must therefore be something in Outlook 2013 that not working correctly.  Strange though if I send a new email from Outlook it all works fine.  Its only the old copied items that get stuck.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for your feedback. Smiley

The number of messages I moved from local to on-line folders using Thunderbird would have been around 100. The computer then had a completely clean install of W10 followed by re installation of software including Thunderbird. After this I moved messages back from on-line to local storage.

This was done around 12 months ago before email slowdowns became a hot topic, but Thunderbird and the servers coped admirably with my move requests. Smiley

David
Wilfred123
Hooked

Found the problem.  It was Kaspersky 2017 that was blocking the IMAP's from syncing.  Pause protection and all works fine.

Next job to try and configure Kaspersky  to play nicely with Outlook !

thanks for the help.