cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing download email server type

Tim17
Dabbler

Changing download email server type

My partner and I use Plusnet webmail and receive email via the IMAP server. We have had problems keeping within our limits. I chose IMAP because I use both an iPad and a phone. My partner only uses her iPad for email. Would it make sense to change hers to the POP server so it is only on her device and not on the Plusnet server? Presumably if I did this all of her existing email would vanish from the Plusnet server? Would it remain on her device or do I have to do something first to safeguard what she already has?
2 REPLIES 2
Tim17
Dabbler

Re: Changing download email server type

And one more question. If she reverts back to POP can she still read her emails by logging onto her mailbox on someone else’s computer. In that event, will her emails remain on the POP server until she downloads them onto her iPad?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Changing download email server type

If you ever want to read (and indeed send) emails on more than one device, then POP3 is never the right solution. As for managing what is on an IMAP server, switching to POP3 is like using a sledge hammer to crack a wall but.

The right answer is to manage your mail store. Delete emails you have zero need to keep, both sent and received. Remember to empty the deleted items folder.

If you use emails to send / receive documents or photos, save the attachments and delete the emails.

After that on a ‘main’ device move received and sent emails you need to retain to local ‘archive’ folders. iPads are not ideal platforms for this ... unless you use folders in you iCloud account ... though if you take that approach you might just as well use an iCloud email account / address.

The reality is we all retain far more email crud than we really need and and are never likely ever to re-read.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.