Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Provider moving domain

hexagon
Hooked

Changing Provider moving domain

Morning,

I am looking to change provider to allow me to have FTTH.

I use my email for business and all of my family have XXXX.co.uk email addresses that have been working on Plusnet...forever !

Am I able to move XXXX.co.uk or am I able to continue using it by other means, if so how do I do it ?

Some of the providers I ahve spoken to say I don't need to do anything and that it will simply work via them but that seems to good to be true.....

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

H

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Changing Provider moving domain

Hi @hexagon 

A warm welcome to the forums.

This is a really good question and you are very right to doubt the advice you have received.  Your domain will certainly not work via them ... if you do nothing!  As ever, there is no one simple answer, it all depends on a number of technical considerations.

• Is it only email, or is there a website involved as well?
  • If only email, might you be content to leave your email service with Plusnet?
  • Who is the registrar for the domain?

When you depart from Plusnet, you can opt to have your account 'reduced' to email only for free, which will leave your email service more or less exactly where it is.  If this is a route you want to take, then you MUST contact Plusnet "retentions" and advise them of your plan to migrate away BUT you want to retain the account as a FREE EMAIL ONLY service.  There is some manual intervention required by Plusnet to facilitate this and some things you must do too.

The termination process will completely kill of your account, Plusnet will then resurrect it, you will need to recreate all of the email addresses, then Plusnet can restore the email contents.  There will be a period during which your email addresses will not be available to receive emails exactly how long that might be (usually less than 24 hours) needs a comment from a staff member.

If you are hosting a website on your Plusnet account - that must be taken in to account if opting to leave your email service with Plusnet - I do not know if a free email account can retain a legacy website component.  Again advice from one of the experienced staff is required - @Gandalf works magic around here!

Domain name management has three aspects - registration, name resolution and hosting...

• Registration consists of management (renewal) of the domain registration and 'pointing' the name to a name server, which might or might not be with the registrar
  • Name resolution (name server) is a service which tells anyone wanting to connect with the domain's services where they are hosted, which might or might not be with the registrar
  • Hosting is the provision of the systems where the services reside, which might or might not be with the registrar or the Name Server provider

NOTE: There is no need for the above services to be provided by the ISP.  There is a growing trend to separate the supply of Registration, Name resolution and Hosting provider from the ISP who tends to simply provide the connection to the internet component.  There is good business sense in this, in that a decision to change the connection provider does not lead to the situation you now face ... needing to change everything because you wish to change your connection technology.  If it helps, I have used http://lcn.com for many years for registration, name resolution and hosting.  Their support is excellent and fast.  Domain name migration is in principle very easy.  There are other similar providers out there.  This might be a good time to consider separating your hosting from your ISP - it also makes the process easier as you can do that before changing your ISP, thereby mitigating the risks.  (Not putting every thing into a single basket of eggs!)

If you would prefer to move your email service away from Plusnet, then the process for moving the domain name depends on who is the registrar for the domain name.  I have two domain names on my account - one has Plusnet (Force9) as the registrar and the other is registered elsewhere.  Both use Plusnet's name servers for defining where the domain names point to.  How each might be migrated to an alternative hosting provider is different.

You can look up your domain registration here - https://www.nominet.uk/whois/ - depending on what the ISPTAG reports determines the process for moving the domain hosting elsewhere.

If the ISPTAG is not Plusnet / Force9 moving the domain name hosting to elsewhere is achieved by managing the configuration settings provided by the registrar ...

1. Configure DNS records in your registrar's name server to point to your email host (MX server) and (if applicable) website host
  2. Set up matching email addresses with your new hosting provider
  3. Set up your email applications to point to the new hosting provider
  4. In your registrar's domain name registration, change the name server addresses from Plusnet / Force 9 to your registrar's name server

After that emails sent to you@yourdomain.co.uk will arrive in your new provider's service.  Again, this can take 24-48 hours to migrate.  Done as described, BEFORE the Plusnet account is closed, will allow you to move existing email content from your old service to you ne hosting service.

If the ISPTAG is Plusnet / Force9, you will need to find a new registrar and move the domain name registration before doing all of the above.  To do this, you need to find a registrar - your new ISP might offer this service but migration takes time, during which you'll need assurance that the existing Plusnet services will not be interrupted.

The migration of domain name registration works like this...

1. You find a registrar
  2. You ask them to import the domain name registration
  3. They ask you to ask the existing registrar (Plusnet / Force9) to change the ISPTAGS (you need to raise a ticket with Plusnet to do this ... and I recommend that you also flag that ticket here ... it can take time ... many front line agents are not familiar with the process as this is legacy stuff)
  4. When the transfer of registration is complete, everything else will still be the same, the domain will still be pointing at Plusnet
  5. Then you need to do the above

The detail of the process might appear complicated, but in practice it is reasonably straight forwards IF YOU HAVE A PLAN!  It is much like using a car - driving it is easy, but servicing it needs knowledge and skills few have.

I hope that this helps!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Grrr - my edit window expired due to LAN connectivity issues.

"then you MUST contact Plusnet "retentions" and advise them of your plan to migrate away*"

* The migration process to FTTH (FTTP) is not the same as that for the usual Gaining Provider Led working service take over from ADSL or FTTC.  FTTH is delivered on different infrastructure** and does not take over the existing services.  Therefore the existing services need to be explicitly terminated.  @Gandalf can you please confirm here?

Of particular note, what will be the plan for your existing phone service?  Wil you just drop the voice service and lose the existing phone number, or does that need to be migrated to a VoIP provider?  Is this a service your new ISP will provide?

**Due to COVID-19 BT Openreach are being restrictive on doing new line installs - you should ensure that that this is discussed with your new provider to ensure that you have confidence in the real time line of making this happen for you.

"The termination process will completely kill off your account,"

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hexagon
Hooked

Townman,

Thank you so very much for your reply, it is detailed and useful and I will read it again after I take my head out of a bucket of cold water !!

I want to be sure I understand and get it right.  I will also wait for @Gandalf to comment to your questions before doing anything.

There is no website so it is only email that I ahve to worry about, I just want the easiest and most robust solution to ensure I do not miss important business emails.

Thanks again

H

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Townman 

If the ISPTAG is Plusnet / Force9, you will need to find a new registrar and move the domain name registration before doing all of the above.  To do this, you need to find a registrar - your new ISP might offer this service but migration takes time, during which you'll need assurance that the existing Plusnet services will not be interrupted.

The migration of domain name registration works like this...

1. You find a registrar
  2. You ask them to import the domain name registration
  3. They ask you to ask the existing registrar (Plusnet / Force9) to change the ISPTAGS (you need to raise a ticket with Plusnet to do this ... and I recommend that you also flag that ticket here ... it can take time ... many front line agents are not familiar with the process as this is legacy stuff)
  4. When the transfer of registration is complete, everything else will still be the same, the domain will still be pointing at Plusnet
  5. Then you need to do the above

I agree, that's how it's supposed to work but I seem to recall seeing some cases where changing the IPSTAG away from PlusNet causes the mail hosting to stop as well!. You SHOULD be able to change the IPSTAG and the domain will retain the existing nameservers.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Transferring-domain-out/m-p/1093737 Not sure whether that was due to the 'old' automatic (sic) way of requesting a domain transfer out as it was some while ago

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Madasafish-Freenetname-MX-record-after-moving-domain-away-from/m... this is much more recent.

Maybe the 'local wizard' will confirm or deny my fears...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@hexagon

If there is only an email service the technically simplest approach is to request that your Plusnet account is down graded to email only. It is though not without risk, as with any change there is a possibility of things not going to plan.

You do though need to add the phone service / number (if you use it) into your plan if you have not already done so.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to our community forums @hexagon I'm sorry to see you're thinking of leaving us. 

On the subject of domains, if you want to keep your domain with us along with any Plusnet email addresses you may have in the format of mailbox@username.plus.com, we can change your account type to email only after your account's cancelled. You'd be without your domain/emails for a bit of time but if we time it right, it shouldn't be more than a day or so.

Webspace can also be kept alive on an email only account although I understand you've said you don't use this.

To move your domain away from us, we'd just need the IPSTAG of your new registrar to change your domain records to. Once we've carried out that work (normally within 3 working days as we'd raise a task to our NetOps team), you'll then need to ask your new host to change the nameservers from Force9 (A host is normally the same provider as a registrar).

When requesting cancellation with us, you may not actually need to do this if you want to keep your landline telephone number, because if you port your number to another provider, this will automatically cease your phone line, broadband and account with us, unless your new provider keeps the number on BT's network.

If the latter's true then once the number's transferred away, you'll need to call us on 0800 013 2632 to set a date to cancel your broadband service and account with us (the account can still be changed to email only after).

It may be best to arrange the cancellation with us either by calling us or through moving your number to a non-BT provider (generally Sky, TalkTalk, VoIP but there are others) after you've got FTTP installed and working. That way if there are any delays with your FTTP order, you'd still have a service, assuming you're happy with some pricing overlap.

Let us know if you've got any further queries and if you do go ahead with the cancellation, feel free to drop me a message so I can make sure we change your account type to email only with minimal downtime (assuming you'd want to keep your domain/emails with us). 

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hexagon
Hooked

Thanks to all of you.

Once I have settled on a provider, I think I will retain email at plusnet as that seems the easiest and least technically taxing for the likes of me....

I will let you know @Gandalf if I need your kindly offered services.

H

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, sounds like a plan.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf 

It pays to ask, for it might save tears later!

Where a domain name came with the Plusnet account (as many legacy packages offered) and that account becomes a non-subscription, free email only account (as being discussed here) ... are you able to confirm that Plusnet will still renew said domain name as and when required?

Clearly there is a cost (to the business) with domain name renewal!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep. Our domain services are free of charge and we'll renew them on a yearly basis.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet