Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of username please

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Change of username please

I signed up for Plusnet on 23 July. It is only now that I realise the username I chose will always appear in any Plusnet email address, even if I subsequently set up a secondary Plusnet email account, it will still be like name@username.plus.net.
It's just that my username contains my surname and initials, which is not a problem in itself, as long as I could set an additional email account that does not include the username, as us usual with most ISPs, something like additionalname@plus.net, or I could simply have the username changed to something that at least disguises my name.
I called support this morning and was told there was no way to change username, other than cancel and reapply. This seems daft, especially when the account is some time away from being activated. I am rather disappointed with my initial contacts with Plusnet, seeing as your customer service is supposed to be award winning!
I am hoping that someone else will see this at Plusnet and could make a change for me if I specify a different username.
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Change of username please

One solution would be to see if there is a suitable .me.uk or .org.uk domain available. They are obtainable for less than £5/year from most domain providers. You then use the provided domain control to redirect mail to your PlusNet account. The other advantage of your own domain is, that should you change ISP's in the future, you don't need to change your email addresses. Shout up if you want more advice on this option.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

materialman
Rising Star

I did think of doing something like that and indeed already have a very amateurish health related website, hosted with a very long, hyphenated, unsuitable for personal email, domain name. I use that domain for email only in relation to that subject and site.
A change of username would do me, but yes there is the advantage of transferable email independent of ISP. Pity that Plusnet email addresses are in the format that they are, even additional ones.  This ought to be made clearer in the signup process than it is, at the point of entering a username.
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As I understand it, a change in username is not possible without ( as the CSC said ) creating a new account.
Pity that Plusnet email addresses are in the format that they are, even additional ones.
The advantage of the PlusNet system is that you can have an unlimited number of mailboxes i.e anything_you_like@username.plus.net and don't have to worry about it already being taken and having to have ..1/2/3 etc after the name. That, of couse, assumes you have an acceptable username in the first place :(. I'm quite fortunate in that I have an unusual surname and that is my username so it's very convenient. I still have my own domain though, purely so that I'm not tied to any ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think the best option for you, and anyone really, would be to have your own domain name for the emails.
You can pick up .me.uk's for like £3 from NameCheap -> http://www.namecheap.com/domains/extensions-tlds/cctld/me-uk.aspx
The other option you've got is to use another free email provider such as Gmail - You're not forced to use email provided by your ISP.
Thanks,
Matt
materialman
Rising Star

Yes I do use gmail. I don't much like the interface, but its fine if POP accessed of course. There's always a slight worry about hacking with web based email.
That or a domain seems to be the way to go, seeing as Plusnet can't/won't change a username.
But I was rather hoping someone from Plusnet might see this, and comment, or better, facilitate a change of username for me, especially given my account is not yet activated.
Thanks anyway.