cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change main mailbox address

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Change main mailbox address

Is there anway to have a different emal mailbox to the username@username.plus.com default one as I didn't realise the username I selected when registering with Plusnet would be part of the domain name and it looks like a very silly and awkward address.
I know I can use a different one before the domain part but it still leaves a domain name that I do not really want to have as my email address.
Thanks, Sandra
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Change main mailbox address

Unfortunately the answer is that it can't be changed. See the attached screen shot from the sign up journey.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi and welcome to the forums,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's impossible to change the username of an account. All of Plusnets systems revolve around the username and so it's just not possible to change it without closing and reopening the account.
As an alternative why not get you own .me.uk or .org.uk domain, they are not expensive, around £2 -5/year. You then use the domain hosting providers email forwarding to redirect email to your PlusNet mailboxes. You also change the from address on your email client to your domain address so your PlsuNet mailbox name is never seen.
The other advantage is that when you change ISP's you can keep your email address!.
Shout up if you need more information...
Edit: I see Jelv beat me to it, the forum told me there was another post but wouldn't show me it!!!  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I didnt realise the username would be used twice as I expected it to be something like username@plusnet.com or similar.
It seems silly to have the username in the address twice and I have never seen another ISP set one up in that way. It may make it easier for multiple address for the same account but I only want a single address  Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it doesn't have to be like that
The email address can be anything in the format name@username.plus.com where name can be anything you want
Just add it by going to manage my mail from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings
For example it could be sandra@username.plus.com and another one could be fred@username.plus.com - you can have as many as you want
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If sandra is in your account name you could create a mailbox called 'me' which would give you me@sandraxxxxxx.plus.com
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Its the username after the @ and before the plusnet that I do not like.
I realise I can have anything I want before the @ but as I only want the one email address I would prefer a simpler one such as my username@plusnet.com or similar, as far as I know my username is unique on plusnet as it wouldnt let me select the first 5 names that I chose when signing up so I do not understand why it cant be an option for someone who only wants a single address, which has left me with a long complicated username which is fine for logging into plusnet and for contacting plusnet staff but its not what I would have expected to have after the @ as part of my email address.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As we've all said, that can't be changed. Did you not read the text on the right of the image I attached to the first post?

That partial screen shot is taken from the sign up journey that you went through when you created your account - you were informed that the name you chose would be part of your email address and that once chosen it can't be changed.
The suggestions we've posted are ways you could improve the address you use.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've got accounts with gmail, yahoo, plusnet and my own domain
There are a lot of solutions out there  Smiley
On the other hand I do think the plusnet system is clumsy so I only give it to organisations when I want to trace the source of the contact.
LinkedIn is an example  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
As we've all said, that can't be changed. Did you not read the text on the right of the image I attached to the first post?

That partial screen shot is taken from the sign up journey that you went through when you created your account - you were informed that the name you chose would be part of your email address and that once chosen it can't be changed.
The suggestions we've posted are ways you could improve the address you use.

I did read that bit and as I said I assumed that like with all other ISPs I have used, that the address would be the username follwed by @ and then the domain name of the ISP not the username again and then the domain name of the iSP
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is an unfortunate side effect of the Plusnet system where you are allowed unlimited email addresses.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sandra51
I did read that bit and as I said I assumed that like with all other ISPs I have used, that the address would be the username follwed by @ and then the domain name of the ISP not the username again and then the domain name of the iSP

Didn't happen like that at Freeserve. My email address there was of the same format as here. I agree - get your own domain name. I did 15 years ago when I first bought a home computer and connected to the internet. Consequently I've never had to mass-mail everyone advising of a change in email address, despite moving to a new ISP twice. In fact I have a few, used for different purposes. One's as short as x@xxx.org.uk.