cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change email account username

Witzendwizard

Change email account username

I have recently joined Plusnet and my account etc is in the process of being set up.
The problem I have is that I would like to change my user name to one that is more understandable / recognized by my email recipients.
With my previous ISP, this was very easily done, but I understand that this may not be possible without canceling the whole account.
I'm having nightmares - how can I resolve this???????
9 REPLIES 9
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Change email account username

To change your user name you will need to raise a ticket with PlusNet, but I doubt if PlusNet will change your user name.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good Moring Witzendwizard,
Firstly, Welcome to Plusnet Community Forums, and Plusnet Broadband.
Sadly, there is not an easy way to change your account username, other than to cancel the account and sign up again. What I would suggest, is calling the customer options team, before everything gets ordered and activated, on 0845 140 6002 between 9am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday. They would at least be able to offer some assistance in carrying out this procedure, and advise if any costs are involved.
Other than that, I hope that everything goes well with your orders Smiley
Regards,
Matt
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

The problem I have is that I would like to change my user name to one that is more understandable / recognized by my email recipients.

If the account name change isn't feasible why not get yourself a domain name and use the email forwarding service included with the domain. You can get a .co.uk, .me.uk or .org.uk domain for about £3 a year with included email and web forwarding.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Witzendwizard

MisterW
Thanks for the suggestion. Where do I do this, as I've never had anything to do with a domain name before.
IE can this be done through Plusnet - or do I have to look elsewhere? For £3 or so, it may well be a viable alternative if Plusnet cannot change my user name attached to my email.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

PlusNet can provide domain registration through their sister company http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/main.shtml
They are however quite expensive , other companies to look at are
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
http://www.1an1.co.uk/
http://www.uk-cheapest.co.uk/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrT
Grafter

A Hotmail account would be a simple solution. You could always link your Plusnet email account to your Hotmail account if you wished. That way all your email would appear in one place.  Smiley
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum and Plusnet - hope that all goes well for you.
With regards to the username I would agree with previous comments about a domain name. It is well worth the small cost as you will have a simple, easy to remember and write email address which you can take with you if you change ISP at any time. 
For a long time I thought that my Force 9 address was a bit unwieldy and am now much better suited with my domain name.
Alternatively (as mentioned) there is Hotmail or you could sign up with GMX/Zoho/Gmail or the like and get all your emails sent to that.
All of these are configurable for POP3.
Witzendwizard

Cheesy Cheesy Plusnet were good enough to cancel my registration as it had not progressed very far.
I have now re-joined with a much more acceptable username. Now a happy bunny!
All's well that ends well!
stead1

This post/reply is a bit late to help witzend, but I had a similar problem years ago when I joined plus.net. My broadband user name has a '1' in it, and i found when giving out my email address people were asking 'is that 1 or o-n-e'. so I tried to change.
I was advised by plus net support to set up a plus net pay as you go account (payg) with my preferred username and address and use that for my emails, and it worked fine.....

Until now....
I've just switched to Outlook 2007 and I'm having problems receiving from the payg account. I'm sure that can be resolved though Smiley