Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change alias to mailbox

FIXED
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Change alias to mailbox

I want to change an alias email address to a mailbox but can't see how to do it! Do I need to delete the alias and re-create a mailbox with the same name as the alias?

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Change alias to mailbox

Since aliases and mailboxes are handled differently changing the address type does require deleting the alias then creating a new mailbox with the same name.

However since the target of an alias can be changed an alternative approach would be to create a new mailbox with a different name, wait until set-up completes then edit the alias to point to the new mailbox. This would mean the new mailbox name is used for collecting mail rather than the ex-alias one.

The delete/recreate process seems clearer to me and is probably the one I'd choose.

David
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@spraxyt wrote:

However since the target of an alias can be changed an alternative approach would be to create a new mailbox with a different name, wait until set-up completes then edit the alias to point to the new mailbox.

OK, presumably then once the new mailbox is set up, and the alias points to the new mailbox, change the mailbox to the same name as the alias then delete the alias? But then I notice the only default email address can be renamed? Yeh delete then remake. Thanks.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

An alias and a mailbox with the same name cannot coexist so even if renaming a non-default mailbox was possible the alias would have to be deleted before the rename. Essentially that puts the process back to delete/recreate which is what I'd do. Smiley

David