cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

Digsy
Hooked

Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

I have just changed from using POP3 mail to IMAP4 so I can sync mail across multiple mobile devices. However I am seeing an issue where I cannot sync my accounts if there is an e-mail waiting to be sent in the outbox. The server responds with an authentication error. It would appear that I only get this error if I am trying to sync when connected to the internet over GPRS (Vodafone) or non-Plusnet wifi (i.e. at work). On my connection at home it works fine (which is useless in the real world). I didn't have any such issues using POP3.

I have checked the e-mail setup over and over, and deleted the account on my phone and re-craeted it countless times. Either there is an issue with relay.plus.net today or I have a genuine problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Digsy
Hooked

Re: Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

LOL.

Just worked this out for myself after struggling with it all morning.

My username for incoming mail is in the "mailbox+username" format. I'd forgotten that when logging in via a third party connection I have to use smtp.plus.net and specify different login credentials which are just "username" (omitting the "mailbox+" part).

Anyway - all working now! Smiley

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 127

@Digsy wrote:

My username for incoming mail is in the "mailbox+username" format. I'd forgotten that when logging in via a third party connection I have to use smtp.plus.net and specify different login credentials which are just "username" (omitting the "mailbox+" part).

The "mailbox+" format should work as well TBH, not sure why it isn't. Regardless, glad it's now sorted Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 73

@Digsy wrote:

That might be a "from memory" typo but the correct login for mailboxes is "username+mailboxname", ie username first (with the mailbox password of course). It wouldn't work if entered as in the quote. :wink:

David
Digsy
Hooked

Yes, you're right I just typed it incorrctly.

I was trying (and failing) to log in using relay.plus.net with "username+mailboxname". I fixed it by using smtp.plus.net and "username". :smiley:

Sending mail works fine with imap.plus.net and "username+mailboxname".

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 168

Yep, username+mailboxname is the correct way round.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.