cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

Digsy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

I have just changed from using POP3 mail to IMAP4 so I can sync mail across multiple mobile devices. However I am seeing an issue where I cannot sync my accounts if there is an e-mail waiting to be sent in the outbox. The server responds with an authentication error. It would appear that I only get this error if I am trying to sync when connected to the internet over GPRS (Vodafone) or non-Plusnet wifi (i.e. at work). On my connection at home it works fine (which is useless in the real world). I didn't have any such issues using POP3.

I have checked the e-mail setup over and over, and deleted the account on my phone and re-craeted it countless times. Either there is an issue with relay.plus.net today or I have a genuine problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Digsy
Grafter

Re: Cannot sync mobile e-mail (problem with authenticating to relay.plus.net)

LOL.

Just worked this out for myself after struggling with it all morning.

My username for incoming mail is in the "mailbox+username" format. I'd forgotten that when logging in via a third party connection I have to use smtp.plus.net and specify different login credentials which are just "username" (omitting the "mailbox+" part).

Anyway - all working now! Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Anonymous wrote:

My username for incoming mail is in the "mailbox+username" format. I'd forgotten that when logging in via a third party connection I have to use smtp.plus.net and specify different login credentials which are just "username" (omitting the "mailbox+" part).

The "mailbox+" format should work as well TBH, not sure why it isn't. Regardless, glad it's now sorted Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Anonymous wrote:

That might be a "from memory" typo but the correct login for mailboxes is "username+mailboxname", ie username first (with the mailbox password of course). It wouldn't work if entered as in the quote. Wink

David
Digsy
Grafter

Yes, you're right I just typed it incorrctly.

I was trying (and failing) to log in using relay.plus.net with "username+mailboxname". I fixed it by using smtp.plus.net and "username". Smiley

Sending mail works fine with imap.plus.net and "username+mailboxname".

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, username+mailboxname is the correct way round.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.