Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails from Samsung Galaxy S3

lisa79
Hooked

Cannot send emails from Samsung Galaxy S3

Hi
I have recently upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S3. I have followed the email set up guide on the website but I cannot send emails.  Just says delivery failed.
Emails are being received ok.
I have used the following settings -
smtp.plus.net
security type - none
port 587
require sign in box is ticked
username and password completed
I have also tried relay.plus.net - port 25 but still the same.
Help?
Lisa
17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Cannot send emails from Samsung Galaxy S3

It's relay.plus.net, try that with port 587.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lisa79
Hooked

Still not working with that combination.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That works fine on my Nexus 7. Double check that you are using the correct username/password, either the main account or the mailbox as defined here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/android-setup.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Samsung S3
SMTP server  relay.force9.net
Security  None
Port  587
Require Sign-in  ticked
Username  my username
Password  my password
After a firmware upgrade my settings became corrupt and I could not send via my provider T-Mobile.
Sending via my Wi-Fi was ok.
Reset settings to the above and it now all works.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Strat being a Force9 customer (as I am) uses SMTP server relay.force9.net . For Plusnet customers that should be relay.plus.net .
David
Strat
Community Veteran

Sorry, should have said 'insert appropriate server'
Looking at the Help and Support Android email setup from a Plusnet account......SMTP server: smtp.plus.net or relay.plus.net (either will work)
I didn't think smtp.realm.net would work.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes. I noticed that when I looked at the Help and Support. Anyone know when the alias smtp.plus.net became available ?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Though the smtp alias exists for plus.net I don't think that's true for force9.net or free-online.net . The android guide infers smtp.plus.net can be used by force9 and free-online users but I don't think that is correct (the wrong account would be checked).
David
Strat
Community Veteran

I have just tried smtp.force9.net on my Android and get the message 'Unable to contact server to verify your account'
lisa79
Hooked

Checked username and password - both correct.
Any other suggestions?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Can you try sending with a WiFi connection rather than ( I assume ) 3g.

cdsheldon

I have an identical problem as Lisa79 with a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I used to be able to send emails with no problem. For over a month I have been unable to send emails via the mobile network but when connected via WiFi it is fine. I have raised this as a fault but PlusNet claim the problem is with my mobile provider (Ovivo on the Vodafone network) but Ovivo they say there is no problem at their end.
The standard Android email client is not helpful, just telling me that my user name or password are incorrect (not true). However I also tried the K-9 mail app and this gave more information "Cannot connect to server. Negative SMTP reply: 535 authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation".
Can anyone advise what this means and whether the problem is with PlusNet or Vodafone/Ovivo?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It means that the IP address you have been allocated on the mobile network is believed to have been used to send spam email. I'm not sure why the PN mail system really needs to do this check when you have authenticated with a PN userid but it obviously does.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: lisa79
Checked username and password - both correct.
Any other suggestions?

Can you receive e-mails without any problems?