Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails all of a sudden

FIXED
Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Cannot send emails all of a sudden

I am at  a loss to understand what has happened to my email. I used it perfectly well yesterday but, today, I am unable to send an outgoing email from my account. I have not altered any settings in Thunderbird and I am also unable to send on my Android phone using the AquaMail app. I am getting an outgoing server login error. Thunderbird prompts me to enter my password but this doesn't resolve the issue. I am at home using my Plusnet Broadband connection.

I can receive email so the password has to be correct, surely?

The odd thing is I AM able to send using my husband's mail account. This is a separate mailbox on the same Plusnet account so what can possibly be the issue with my account?

Have I been blocked? For background info, I was trying to get EaseUsToDo Backup to send me an email notification after a backup job as I have only just noticed these emails haven't been coming through to me recently. I kept getting an error and so I was wondering whether there were too many attempts and the server has blocked me. I think the actual EaseUsToDo error is a separate issue as it doesn't seem to matter what email account I use (ie. Gmail, my own domain, etc.) but maybe Plusnet has blocked my account from sending mail. My username is barnes.

Annie
7 REPLIES 7
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Cannot send emails all of a sudden

Hi @Annie,

I'm sorry to hear about this. What error message are you receiving when this occurs?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix

@TheMightyAJ Thank you for your reply.

I raised a ticket after my post and it was suggested that I try Webmail which I did and managed to successfully send an email from my account. I returned to Thunderbird, had to input the password again, and this time it worked. Then tried AquaMail on my phone and this also worked without altering any settings. I can't explain it but it's like when I used Webmail, it sparked it into action.

Still seems to be working today so all fixed. Thanks.

Annie
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

I'm glad to hear that's done the trick @Annie Smiley If there are any further issues just give us a shout and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Thorn12
Hooked

Since the last update of Thunderbird (and Windows 10) I cannot send emails from one account.

I get the error message:-

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: <domainname@plus.com> sender domain rejected (blacklisted by local policy). Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again."

I don't have the password saved so usually have to enter it twice on startup once for incoming (mail.plus.net) and the second for outgoing (relay.plus.net). But it is not requesting the second one.

I have tried using webmail and that is working O.K. so the server seems to be working.
I have checked the account settings and they seem O.K.
I have second account set up for personal messages linked to a mailbox on my domain ie (Domainname+Myname)and this is working O.K.

Does anyone have any ideas?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Thorn12, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues when trying to send emails recently. If you're managing to send them via webmail fine then it hints that the set-up on your client may not be fully correct and your mention of having to enter the 2 password upon start up hint that this could be outdated in your settings.
In which case then, I'd recommend checking over the below thread and to make sure that the settings your client side are correct. As you're entering the password for both inbound and outbound server when opening up the client it hints it could be the password that may need updating in the settings.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/td-p/1598809

I hope this helps in checking over the settings in place. Let us know how it goes

Thorn12
Hooked

Hi @BD Thanks for your reply.
My settings seem to be correct ( same as when I set them up last year on my windows 10 machine). I am prompted for the passwords as I have not set Thunderbird to remember them.
When setting up the accounts on Thunderbird I set up two outgoing servers one for each account but I only use one (default) for both accounts.
I have altered the default to the other account but still have the same result i.e.account 1 (me@domain) functioning O.K. Account 2 (@domain) error on sending.

I have noticed that on sending from account 2 that I get the popup stating connecting to relay.plus.net and the green bar seems to go all the way accross before closing andthe error message appears.
So perhaps the client is connecting but for some reason the server is rejecting the domain Huh (blacklisted by local policy) by whom? the server the client or windows 10 ?
As account 1 is on the same domain i.e.Domain+ username I can't see why it is accepted when the domainname is not on account 2.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanx in advance

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Thorn12, thanks for getting back to me and explaining the issues you've been seeing in further detail. I can confirm the local policy message you've seen refers to Cloudmark which is our spam filter. So we can investigate this issue further for you please can you send me over private message the email and contents which has triggered this message to appear(including the header) . Also if you could please send me over the bounce back email you received if any or the error message which appeared (also including header if there was one). Feel free to cover over/redact any sensitive information which may be included in this email/returning message.
With this information I should be able to query with our back end team why the message was being blocked for you.

I look forwards to hearing from you further.