Did you mean: 

Cannot send e-mail - I get this error message

familycat
Dabbler

Cannot send e-mail - I get this error message

I get the following error message when I try to send an e-mail:
Message not sent. Server replied:
Syntax error in parameters or arguments
501 <cat3home@plusdsl.net@cat3home@plusdsl.net.plus.com>: malformed address: @cat3home@plusdsl.net.plus.com> may not follow <cat3home@plusdsl.net

Any suggestions welcome
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cannot send e-mail - I get this error message

There is no such address as something@plusdsl.net It should be in the form me@username.plus.com unless you are sending it to a member of Plusnet staff
familycat
Dabbler

So what's my next step please? Embarrassed
Denzil
Grafter

Where it asks for your username in the account settings, just put your username. So, assuming your username is "cat3home" just put in the username box,
cat3home
not
cat3home@plusdsl.net
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Or perhaps it should be firstname@username.plus.com (whatever your email address is) if the box you are filling in is your email address.
The @plusdsl.net address is part of your broadband user name entered into your router, not your email address.
Which email program are you using? Set-up guides for the popular email programs are given in this Help & Support page.
David
familycat
Dabbler

Thanks
I'm using squirrelMail
I can find 'my account control panel' then I see email settings then I'm at a loss what to do
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you set-up (defined) an email address for yourself - during the sign-up journey or subsequently?
If you have you should be able to find it by going to the Member Centre and clicking on Email Settings. Then click the Manage My Mail icon. The "Summary" list should be displayed but to see the full email addresses you need to click the Mailboxes tab. You probably have only one mailbox, make a note of what that says (probably something like the pattern firstname@username.plus.com).
If you don't have any mailboxes you need to create one. Do that by returning to the Summary tab and clicking Create New Email Address. Then fill in the boxes and work through the dialogue. You can use whatever mailbox name you like (but no spaces). I'm not sure how long it takes to set up your mailbox, probably 30 minutes - it should tell you. Make a note of the address (name) you use.
To use SquirrelMail click Webmail in the left hand column. Log in, then click Options in the top menu. Now click Personal Information. Enter your full name (whatever you want to appear as your sender name (normal text with capital first letters and spaces)) in the top box and your email address (which you've just looked up or created) in the second box (like the pattern mailboxname@username.plus.com). Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Submit.
Now click Compose and I suggest sending yourself an email to check it is working. Put your email address on the To line, a subject like Testing and a few words in the message box, then click Send.
Hopefully it will send successfully and the message should appear in your Inbox after you click Check mail.
David
familycat
Dabbler

Thanks spraxyt
The instructions were perfect and I've solved it only now in the confusion, I accidentally changed my Plusnet account login settings and ..... well that's another thread!