cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reply directly to an email on my iPhone when not using my home internet c

JoeR
Dabbler

Cannot reply directly to an email on my iPhone when not using my home internet c

Hi
Wen at home, I can receive and reply to all emails on my Iphone 5s. (without logging into plusnet webmail)  However, when connected to any other internet connection (when outside my home), I can receive emails but can never reply to them without first logging into Plusnet webmail - which on a phone is a real pain!.  Is there an easy solution?
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Cannot reply directly to an email on my iPhone when not using my home internet c

You need to configure the outgoing mail settings for authenticated smtp i.e provide a username & password. See the guide here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ios-setup.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JoeR
Dabbler

Re: Cannot reply directly to an email on my iPhone when not using my home internet c

Hi
I have tried all that and it does not work.  My computer savvy children are flummoxed as well.  When I choose the SSL option, I get the message "cannot connect to relay.plus.net".  It does not ask me whether I want to connect without SSL.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

TBH I'm not that familiar with the Iphone but from what I read it SHOULD be possible to get it to accept a non SSL connection Does the last post on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141698.0.html help at all ?
set up an iPad and an iPhone for PlusNet imap email yesterday.  There were no problems except the usual one that the iDevice assumes SSL and tries unsuccessfully to make a SSL connection for a minute or two.  So you may have to respond once or twice that an unsecured (non SSL) connection is okay.
If not then we will need to wait for someone more familiar with the iPhone to come along....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I assume SSL/non-SSL alternatives are checked only when a new account is created. If the settings are edited afterwards SSL must be set to "Off".
David