Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive email

forum123
Fixes: 1

Cannot receive email

Hello

I can send email successfully but cannot  receive .If I send to myself . no errors but the message is not received .

It seems that the incoming messages get diverted ..... 

thank you for any advice 

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Cannot receive email

Welcome to the forums, @forum123 . Are you using webmail or a client?  It sounds as though you have exceeded the storage limits for your inbox, but if so, you should have received a number of warning emails.

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

As far as I’m aware sending and receiving mail isn’t affected when a mailbox is full, the mail would just be archived after some warnings. 

jab1
Legend

@Thrall Sending isn't, but receiving will be - there's no room for any more.

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro

From what I’ve read there’s no hard quota on Plusnet mailboxes, only Madasafish. Then again the OP may have a Madasafish mailbox

jab1
Legend

1GB over the full account.

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro

From reading other posts, you'll still be able to send and receive mail even after exceeding the 1GB limit for a Plusnet mailbox. For example this user has been receiving mail advising their mailbox is over-quota.

For Madasafish mailboxes, there seems to be a hard quota.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1 wrote:

Plusnet brand mailboxes do not reject emails when the storage exceeds the FUP.  Other brands do reject emails when the mailbox has utilised all of its allocation.

Plusnet mailbox utilisation warms are notified to the contact email address on the account when the utilisation has exceed 75% of the FUP.  If no action is taken, when the FUP is 100% utilised, there will be at least two further warnings that action will be take to archive the mailboxes if not action is taken to reduce utilisation - but at no time will emails be rejected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@forum123 wrote:

Hello

I can send email successfully but cannot  receive .If I send to myself . no errors but the message is not received .

It seems that the incoming messages get diverted ..... 

thank you for any advice 

Hi @forum123 

A warm welcome to the forums.

You do not advise which email brand you are having problems with - native Plusnet or one of their legacy brands.  Different brands have different characteristics in certain conditions as others have indicated above.

If you have one of the brands which affirms allocation quotas and the mailbox is full, you will indeed experience what you describe.  You do not advise if you can see any emails in your inbox.  No emails at all in your inbox, could point to another email client access the mailbox in POP3 mode which removes all emails from the server.

You do not advise which email client you are using - though not in the case of received emails, there are reports of one email client trashing emails in the sent items folder.

If you can provide some further details, we might be able to assist you better.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

Plusnet brand mailboxes do not reject emails when the storage exceeds the FUP.  Other brands do reject emails when the mailbox has utilised all of its allocation.

Plusnet mailbox utilisation warms are notified to the contact email address on the account when the utilisation has exceed 75% of the FUP.  If no action is taken, when the FUP is 100% utilised, there will be at least two further warnings that action will be take to archive the mailboxes if not action is taken to reduce utilisation - but at no time will emails be rejected.

OK, thanks for that clarification, @Townman . Must admit my comment was based on bits and pieces I had read, and obviously misinterpreted.

As I don't use webmail on the laptops, I've never really had reason to look that deeply into it. The only web client I (very occasionally) use is iOS Mail on the iPad, but that is cleared as soon as I've read the message, so very little chance of me going over whatever limit they have.

John