cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot log in to plusnet email mailbox

FIXED
regmn

Cannot log in to plusnet email mailbox

I have suddenly found that I cannot log in to my regular plusnet mailbox, either using Thunderbird (the client I usually use for this, which tells me my password isn't valid and I must enter it again) or the webmail web portal using the myusername+mailboxname syntax.

I am sure I am typing my password correctly. I last checked this mailbox in mid-August.

In the webmail portal or my plusnet dashboard I do not see an option to reset a password for a mailbox (and anyway, the process would probably send me a confirmation email to my mailbox, which I can't access).

Can anyone suggest what I can do to access my mailbox?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Cannot log in to plusnet email mailbox

Fix

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  This should help you...

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the account password is left unchanged.

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

regmn

Many thanks, this advice was what I needed to get back into my account.

Pipdre
Grafter

Yet again with this company may I say worst company I've have terrible mistake to use, I could not log in.had to change password yet again to log in.why oh why do plusnet make things so complicated .not good not good at all .I know when my contract is up never never never again will I use this terrible company
regmn

Thanks for your egregiously off-topic post which was no help to me at all.

I, on the contrary, find PlusNet customer focused, friendly, helpful and on the whole easy to use.

Best of luck to you when you move to another supplier.