cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

bigtench
Grafter

Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

I am having big trouble deleting emails in any of the clients I use. Outlook on PC, googlemail on tablet, email client on my samsung phone or Plusnet webclient. All use IMAP access. Whenever I delete they just come back again! Been happening for past couple of days now. 

34 REPLIES 34
Baldric
Hooked

Re: Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

I am having exactly the same issue on my phone using imap, using webmail I can delete them but this is a pain. I have not knowingly changed anything so assume reissue is with Plus.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@bigtench When you try to delete the messages using webmail (https://webmail.plus.net), and deletion fails, do you have the mailbox open in one or more of the PC, tablet or phone email clients at the same time? The latter situation should not cause problems, just wondering if it currently does.

@Baldric Since webmail deletion works for you, in your case is the mailbox *not* open in a client at the same time?

David
bigtench
Grafter

No - I only use 1 mail client at a time. I have had no problems in the last many years I have been using these same programs as I always do - I  think it was about 5-6 days ago now when this problem first popped up. By deleting and then immediately emptying the Trash/Recycle bin sometimes seems to keep things deleted - but not always.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's three separate users reporting IMAP issues today - all look to be due to IMAP indexing issues. I'm guessing something they've done to address the performance issues has had an unfortunate side-affect!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks @bigtench I'll make sure Plusnet follow this up on Monday.

David
Baldric
Hooked

I have only the 1 client open, that being on my phone and until a few days ago that was fine, I also use the same application on a different email account (not Plus Net) and that is fine so I assume this is not related to my client on the phone.

Baldric

Dowdsy

Hi
My wife and I are both experiencing the same issue, which also started about 5 or 6 days ago. Likewise we did not make any changes to the settings on our phones.

Dowdsy
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for that additional information @Baldric.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that this problem is not related to problems with users' email clients.

David
steves10
Dabbler

Hi, Number of people with this same problem seems to be growing. My wife and I are both finding that emails deleted using imap on our android phones  return a few seconds later. New emails also seem to only arrive sometimes and refreshing them takes much longer than usual. As with other people we have noticed this problem only in the last few days and no settings have been changed. Fortunately they are deletable on webmail, otherwise we would be inundated with too many messages!

Steve

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I can add my name to the list as IMAP emails on my Android phone re-appear a few seconds after deleting in the default email app.

As above mine also stay deleted in Webmail.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey all.  We're taking a look today.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi all, 

We're going to roll back a change we made to the mail platform on Thursday this evening and see if that resolves the problem.     Please let us know if you are still seeing it tomorrow morning.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
steves10
Dabbler

Thanks Kelly for your post. I will try again tomorrow and see what happens. ATM I have changed to pop which works fine but would prefer to use imap as it is more immediate.

Steve

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From the experience I've had of an identical problem on another providers mail system just rolling back the change may not be enough. The issue I had was that the IMAP indexes were corrupted. Just rolling back the change should stop the corruption happening again but you may also need to rebuild indexes for all the affected users.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)