cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

Paul_Beck
Dabbler

Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

I use both Outlook Mail (in Windows 10) and em Client, both correctly set up for IMAP, without problems until the last few days. Now any messages I try to delete from my Inbox simply reappear when I go back to it.  

In Advanced Webmail, they move to Deleted items, then I empty Deleted items as soon as humanly possible, but there they are again in the Inbox when I return to it.

There might be a clue in Basic Webmail - there, when I select messages and click 'Delete', I get an error message as follows. 

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Query: EXPUNGE
Reason Given: Access denied for EXPUNGE on current mailbox (ACL "e" required)

This also affects moving messages from the Inbox to another folder - I end up with the same messages in both places.  

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Cannot delete Inbox messages in Webmail or Email client

Welcome to the Community forums. Smiley

Hopefully a staff member will be along soon to pick this up

David
Paul_Beck
Dabbler

Thanks David - yes, it looks like the kind of deeply techy thing that needs to be fixed on PlusNet's side of this relationship rather than mine!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, it's a Plusnet issue requiring work by their technical team to resolve. The diagnostic information you provided is very helpful for pointing to the problem. Smiley

I don't think the technical team normally work weekends so it will be next week before this is picked up.

David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry this hasn't been picked up previously. Is this still happening?

Are the deleted items just being deleted from the standard inbox folder or any newly created folders?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Paul_Beck
Dabbler

It's still the same. I can delete from the folders I have created, and from Sent items, but not from the Inbox. Nor can I move items from the Inbox without creating duplicates.

Paul_Beck
Dabbler

Hello Plusnet - any progress to report on fixing this? Not being able to delete from my Inbox means it is gradually filling up and getting harder to manage. Does the Basic Webmail error message I reported give you enough to go on? If there is some other test you need me to carry out let me know. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

HI Paul,

Sorry to see this is still a problem.

I've raised a ticket on your account over to our email team to investigate this for you.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Paul_Beck
Dabbler

Thanks, Anoush. I am in touch with Support now with some more details. The problem now seems to be with Basic Webmail only. We shall see. 

Paul_Beck
Dabbler

Support asked me to test with different clients and browsers. This is what I reported back to them, in case it helps anyone with a similar problem: 

I tried deleting and moving from Inbox in different ways, with different results. Things have improved since I first asked the question. I have four ways of looking at my email accounts - Windows 10 PC with Chrome and Edge browsers and em Client, and a phone running Windows 10 mobile, on which emails are handled by the built-in Mail app.

1 Webmail in Chrome
Message in Inbox deleted successfully, found in Deleted items, which I then emptied.
I found these actions were correctly reflected in em Client and in Mail on Windows 10 mobile. In Basic Webmail, the deleted message was greyed out in INBOX with a 'D' marking, and TRASH was empty.

Message in Inbox moved successfully, without creating a duplicate. The action was reflected in the other three places.

2 Basic webmail in Chrome
Message in INBOX selected to delete, but deleting gave the error message "this page could not be verified and appears to have expired", and the message remained in INBOX. It was still shown in the Inbox in the three other places.

Message in INBOX selected to move, but moving gives the error message "ERROR: could not complete request. Query: EXPUNGE. Reason given: Access denied for EXPUNGE on current mailbox (ACL "e" required). Nevertheless, the message had actually moved when checked in the three other places.

3 Webmail in Edge - same results as in Chrome

4 Basic webmail in Edge - same result as in Chrome

5 em Client on W10 PC
Deleting a message from Inbox sent it to Trash, and Trash was emptied successfully. These actions were reflected properly when logging back into Webmail, Basic webmail and Mail.

Moving a message from Inbox was successful, without creating a duplicate, and was reflected properly when logging back into Webmail, Basic webmail and Mail.

6 Mail client on W10 phone
The deleting and moving tests worked as in em Client on the PC.

To sum up, it all now seems to work as long as I stay away from Basic webmail. I normally use only the two email clients, and these are now OK. Thanks for whatever you have done. I am intrigued by the error messages in Basic webmail, but not intrigued enough to want to pursue it while my normal workflow is unaffected.