cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send totalise emails

Fabio

Can't send totalise emails

We are desperate.  For two weeks now neither of us have been able to send emails from our totalise accounts.  We have phoned the helpdesk several times.  We are constantly told that the helpdesk technicians are only trained to deal with webmail problems.  Despite that they insist on trying to fix our problem, and have succeeded in making it worse by asking us to change our server settings.  Now one of us can't receive totalise emails either.  It looks like a password issue as well - but neither the password they changed it to, nor the original password are accepted.

Our original settings were mail.totalise.co.uk for both incoming and outgoing mail and had worked for many years.

Tech staff raised tickets and told us an expert from the "back office" would ring to help us solve the problem, but no-one responds to our increasingly desperate messages on the tickets or rings.  It is now 14 days since we reported the problem on 11th August.

Is there someone out there who can help us?

10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Can't send totalise emails

Fabio

Thanks for trying to help.  Those are the settings the tech help person made me enter, as a result of which I can't receive emails either, not just not send them . . .

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Fabio Those settings will not work for a Totalise address - you need your original settings - I THINK they are available somewhere on this site, but as I have never had to mess with my email, I only have a vague recollection of having seen reference to them somewhere.

I'll have a scout for them when I have a bit of time, but you really need someone on the Help Team who has been here a while and understands the legacy brands to sort this.

Do you use an email client, or access your mail via webmail?

This topic may help: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-change-your-outgoing-server-on-a-mail-client/m-p/1606155#...

And this : https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/m-p/1598809#M260...

@Gandalf - does your wizardry extend to sorting this? 😉

John
Fabio

We both use email clients - one of us uses Livemail, and I use Mac Mail.  Both accounts stopped sending on the same day 2 weeks ago.

The tech help agents we have spoken to say what you say - we need someone who understands the legacy brands to sort it - they open tickets saying someone from the back office will help us sort it.  But in 14 days no-one from the back office has made contact, and apart from adding increasingly desperate comments to the ticket we don't know how to access a person with the right knowledge.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

jab1
Legend

OK. I understand your frustration, but hopefully now I have tagged @Gandalf , you may get a response - can't guarantee it, but he usually picks these problems up.

Sorry I can't help more, but email (especially for legacy brands) is not one of my strong points.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Fabio

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your emails. Can you please refresh your settings and give this another go? We've now re-activated the webmail component on the account, to be honest it remains unclear as to why this was unconfigured.

@jab1 Plusnet SSL server settings will work with Totalise / MAAF accounts Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

@adam945 wrote:

@jab1 Plusnet SSL server settings will work with Totalise / MAAF accounts Smiley

The SSL settings will, @adam945  - but the accounts have to be set to the correct format.😀

John
Fabio

Hello Adam,   Thank you for trying to help us.  No I don't think I can refresh my settings because none of the passwords I have been given will allow me to log in to my totalise email account, so I can't change anything.  I phoned the helpline again today to at least get the password re-set, but the agent was understandably reluctant to change anything given that last time a change was made to the other user's password mine stopped being accepted - but won't accept the password his was changed to either.  This happened when a previous agent told me to try changing my settings from mail.totalise.co.uk for both incoming and outgoing servers to mail.plus.net for incoming and relay.plus.net for outgoing.

Webmail is not the problem (we never normally use it as it is too laborious and too limited in function).

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Fabio, thanks for getting back to us.
Just to confirm, the settings you'd need to get your totalise mail working through an email client would be:

Incoming server: mail.totalise.co.uk
Port:POP3: 110 or IMAP 143

Outgoing server: mail.totalise.co.uk
Port: 25 or 587

Username format: Full email address
Email address format: username@totalise.co.uk

Although you don't use it, as to make sure it accepts your log in details and you can both send and receive emails using our servers still we'd recommend logging into the webmail first of all. If you are able to send and receive on the webmail here: https://webmail.plus.net/ then it points towards the email client/settings which aren't quite right.
Let us know how it goes and if you're able to send/receive via the webmail.

Fabio

Hi Ben,

Thank you for this.  We already knew what the server settings should be.  That's what they were.  We can send and receive using webmail, but then have no way of filing the emails we need to keep, so it is just a short-term emergency solution.  Someone from Madasafish is now trying to help us, so we are giving her a chance to find a way of making our totalise emails work in our desktop clients.  Fingers crossed.

Fabio