Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send emails after password change

FIXED
Trooser
Dabbler

Can't send emails after password change

A while ago, for security reasons,  I changed my email password on the main account email adress and all linked addresses. Ever since then, although I can still receive emails, I have not been able to send emails from any devices, i.e. laptop or phone using installed email clients.

The only way I can send emails is via Webmail, which is very awkward to do on a small phone screen.

I have updated the password to the new one on the phone and laptop email clients, and it is correct.

I would be very grateful if anybody can help on this.

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Can't send emails after password change

@Trooser Do you get any notifications when they fail to send?

John
Trooser
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.

In Outlook, I get the following error:

Task 'mcsherry@mcsherry.plus.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

My sending port is set to 465, and encyption is set to TLS (as described on email setup page).

jab1
Legend

I don't use Microsoft OS's or their software, so can't advise from experience, but the following link may help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-connection-to-the-server-was-interrupted/8...

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Trooser. Is this a free email account or do you still have plusnet broadband ?

Really The outgoing port should be 587 and STARTTLS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Cheers, @MisterW Not had to set email up for years, so not up to date - hadn't checked settings.Embarrassed

John
Trooser
Dabbler

Hi @MisterW  and @jab1 It is a free account. Encryption options in Outlook are either SSL or TLS. Plusnet setup guide says: If your client doesn't support STARTTLS, then you can set SSL/TLS to Yes and set the outgoing port to 465.

I have also tried it as Port 587 with/without encyption, and also port 25.

The problem is not just limited to Microsoft. When I try to set up outgoing settings on my iPhone, I get message saying username/password is incorrect - but they certainly are - these same credentials work fine for incoming server.

Trooser
Dabbler

I've also tried deleting the email accounts from devices and reconfiguring them.

jab1
Legend

Just thought, because I don't know if this updates automatically, have you updated the password in 'manage my email'?

John
Trooser
Dabbler

Yes, when it initially stopped working I changed the password in Manage my Email a couple of times.

jab1
Legend

OK. I'll leave this to others, as I said it's a long time since I set my email up.

John
Trooser
Dabbler

Thanks @jab1 . At least you got your post count over 13000!

jab1
Legend

That wasn't my intention, and I've been on here a looong time. 😉

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@Trooser. Ah! I believe there is a possible problem being investigated at the moment whereby changing the password on some free email accounts causes authentication to fail

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Trooser
Dabbler

Thanks for that information @MisterW . I've had the problem for around 6 months and so would be very happy if it gets fixed.