cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send email on mail only

cosgr

Can't send email on mail only

To any readers, please keep any answers simple as I am a complete IT duffer.

On 28th August I reluctantly transferred to BT FTTP which had just arrived in our village because PlusNet could not supply me.  Staying on ADSL service was frustrating because of such low speeds so not an option.  PlusNet told me that I could retain my user name and password for a mail only account at no cost. As soon as my ISP account with them was closed (on 29th August), all email disappeared from my webmail account. I use Outlook on my PC which is connected to icloud, plusnet and gmail. I can receive emails on icloud and gmail but can neither send nor receive on Plusnet. I keep getting requests while on Outlook to enter my username and  password. Sometimes the box says imap.plus.net, sometimes it says relay.plus.net. I have no idea what these mean. In talking to PlusNet they have told me that I will have to wait a couple of weeks because they are working flat out on a new billing system. Reminders in the comment box haven't speeded anything up. This is causing me great problems. 

I will be immensely grateful for a solution spelled out in small words. 

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Can't send email on mail only

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Email.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Indeed it is sad that Plusnet cannot supply a FTTP service, especially where FTTP is the only fibre service in town.

As for your continued use of email, it is now free but it used to be charged for; I suspect that change of process might have some bearing here.

imap.plus.net is the INBOUND server

relay.plus.net is the OUTBOUND server

Your email program needs to connect to both and if it cannot connect to either, it will ask you to check your details for each.

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @cosgr

I'm trying to make the relevant arrangements for you to be able to re-gain access to your mail box.

Could you kindly confirm via a private message or reply to the ticket here with the mail box name and any additional mail boxes that you had before processing the move to BT.

Once you have confirmed this, I can then ensure a task is raised to try and restore emails to this / these mail boxes.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Jubby
All Star

Hi @cosgr

Thank you for getting back to us via the ticket.

I have now raised a task to the relevant department and will update you once the task is complete so that you can re-test.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
cosgr

Well, my email is now working on Outlook, so thank you for that, but can you now retrieve the emails that were there before the switchover, please?

Jubby
All Star

Hi again @cosgr

Just to confirm, this is the reason I have raised a task to the relevant team, to try and retrieve the emails lost when the switch occurred.

I will continue to monitor the task and provide you an update on the ticket and on here once I have more information when the task is complete.

Thank you.

Lewis G
Jubby
All Star

Hi @cosgr

I can now confirm that the task has been completed, please click send/receive on Outlook to retrieve your mail from our server.

If you experience any further issues, don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks.

Lewis G