cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send email on iPad IOS 12

FIXED
technophobe

Can't send email on iPad IOS 12

After updating to IOS 12 I can no longer send emails from my iPad although I can receive them without issue. Windows laptop works fine. No settings have been changed since emails were working ok on previous IOS 11, after checking the settings on the iPad are all set in accordance to Plusnet advice.

I seem to remember something similar happening after an another Apple update and I was given some alternative settings in order to get things working again. Any advice or help gratefully received. (PS I'm not an expert in IT so please use basic terminology, thanks).

6 REPLIES 6
Khands

Re: Can't send email on iPad IOS 12

I’m having the same problems.......

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If all the obvious settings are still correct it's possible this problem is due to Mailbox Behaviours settings having changed. I discovered mine had on my iPhone after update to iOS 12, though interestingly not on my iPad Mini (which does WiFi only) after the same update.

On my iPhone "WiFi errors" was displayed under the "Just updated now" message at the bottom of the Mailboxes list and individual account Inbox lists.

To check/correct Mailbox Behaviour

Tap Settings and tap Passwords & Accounts
Tap a problem account name then tap Account at the top
Tap Advanced at the bottom of the list

In the Mailbox Behaviours section at the top
Tap Drafts Mailbox and make sure the tick is against Drafts in the On the Server section
Tap < Advanced to go back one level
Tap Sent Mailbox and make sure the tick is against Sent in the On the Server section
Tap < Advanced again then
Tap Deleted Maibox and make sure the tick is against Trash in the On the Server Section
Tap < Advanced again

Now tap < Account to go back a level and tap Done

Tap < Accounts to go back to the Accounts list. If you have additional Plusnet Mailboxes set up repeat the checks for those.

Otherwise tap < Settings to return to the Settings screen and close the app in the usual manner.

Has this fixed the problem?

David
technophobe

Thanks spraxyt. When I checked against your email everything was set correctly. When I tried sending an email it timed out and I got the message 'Cannot send mail. An error occurred while delivering this message'. Any other ideas?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

Since incoming mail works the credentials for that must be set up correctly. However it's possible those for the outgoing server have been corrupted. I suggest trying to reset these.

On the Account screen in Settings tap SMTP (where previously you tapped Advanced).
Tap the Primary Server line at the top (which should say relay.plus.net and On)

The Server slider should show Green
Outgoing Mail Server Host Name should be relay.plus.net
Username should be your accountname (or accountname+mailboxname for an additional mailbox)
 deleting and retyping this is advised to ensure
 there aren't any leading or trailing spaces
Delete the Password entry and retype it
 with accountname or mailboxname password as appropriate
Use SSL should be off
Authentication should say Password
and Server Port 587

Now tap Done, then < Account and Done again

Then tap Accounts to return to Settings

If this doesn't fix the problem, you could try turning the iPad completely off and restarting it. If the problem persists the next thing to try is deleting the account then setting it up again from scratch.

David
Jim20

Hi. I also had this problem, but this fix has worked on my iPad. Just going to try it on my iPhone which also has the same problem.Smiley

technophobe

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick!