cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send email following password change

AlanH2
Dabbler

Can't send email following password change

For security reasons (I received a phishing email), I changed my Plusnet webmail password a few days ago and put the new password into my Outlook mailbox on my laptop and into my iPad. Since then, incoming email has been arriving ok but I have been unable to send emails from webmail, Outlook or Safari. I get an error on all three whenever I try to send. The fact that I cannot even send direct from my webmail account suggests the fault is somewhere at the Plusnet end and not with any of my devices (all of which had been working ok prior to the password change).

Can anyone help, please?

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Can't send email following password change

@AlanH2 What error?

John
AlanH2
Dabbler

When trying to send from webmail, I'm getting "Error 535 - Authentication failed".

jab1
Legend

That sounds like a problem for PN Help Team intervention from my quick glance at a similar issue a couple of years ago. This probably a really silly question, but are you sure you are using the correct password?

John
AlanH2
Dabbler

Thanks, yes, I have engaged with the PN Help Team. They refreshed something at their end and I can now send email from Webmail and it arrives in my Webmail, Outlook and Safari accounts ok. I just need to fix my Outlook and Safari outboxes now!

Not a silly question about whether using the correct password. These things have you dobting your own sanity!

jab1
Legend

Good to see Plusnet have been able to help. Afraid I can't help with the other two as I don't use either. Safari  is a web browser, though, not an email client, so I don't get how it is involved.

John
AlanH2
Dabbler

Hello John,

Just to close the loop on this one, the PN Help Desk got to the bottom of the problem. Despite there appearing to be no chargeable components on my account, it became deactivated for some unknown reason (maybe my password change triggered something). Following reactivation, normal service returned. Not sure why, if the account had been deactivated, inbound mail was arriving but not outbound but nevermind.

Don't know why I mentioned Safari before, I meant to say my iPad email account.

Merry Christmas!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@AlanH2 

Thank you for coming back to share the information you received from Plusnet.  This will help advising and supporting other users.  Hitherto there has been a perception that if you can log into webmail and read your emails, you should be able to send emails too via webmail.  I have in the past raised questions in this space and received the above advice - I will review that with Plusnet support.

There are a multitude of account statuses which have specific implications for the use of the outbound SMTP server...

1. A new broadband account (prior to going live) can read the Plusnet mailbox (if there is one on the account) and create new mailboxes, but CANNOT SEND emails via the Plusnet relay service
  2. There are various flavours of email only accounts - previously only paid for email only accounts could use the SMTP servers, free ones could read emails but not send them - since 3+ years ago the charge on paid for accounts was removed ... possibly leading to confusion of the profile of "free" email only accounts

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.