Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see sent emails and platform is outdated

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Can't see sent emails and platform is outdated

Good Morning all
I've successfully added my personal domain email address to W10 mail platform and is quite good.  But ever since owning this email address I've discovered that you can't view the sent emails or deleted emails.
This issue is across all devices.  It's fine for my BT Internet email address and Outlook.com address and no issues there.  Is it because Plusnet are using a rather outdated email platform that requires complex set up?
It's quite frustrating because it would be useful to see whether I did send that email.
Also has Plusnet not got a junk email system??
My suggestion would be to restructure this old email system or get partners with Yahoo or BT (since they now have their own email platform which is quiet good)
I don't really want to be using 1990's technology  Shocked Undecided
Thanks
NE  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Can't see sent emails and platform is outdated

Quote from: NorthEasterner
This issue is across all devices.  It's fine for my BT Internet email address and Outlook.com address and no issues there.  Is it because Plusnet are using a rather outdated email platform that requires complex set up?

No, the platform is not outdated, it just uses a different IMAP namespace. This means that special folders such as 'Sent' sit one level lower in the folder hierarchy, i.e. as a sub-folder of 'Inbox' rather than a folder parallel to it.
The shortcoming is with the Windows 10 Mail client. Other email clients allow you to make accommodations for this. Thunderbird being one example.
Also has Plusnet not got a junk email system?Huh

Yes, if spam filtering is enabled, detected messages are send to an IMAP folder called 'Spam'. You will probably see this folder if you expand the folder list in Windows Mail by clicking 'More' in the left-hand pane. The only way to mark false negatives/positives as spam/not spam is to use the tool bar buttons in Webmail.
My suggestion would be to restructure this old email system or get partners with Yahoo or BT (since they now have their own email platform which is quiet good)

Migrating our mail provision to a third party is no mean feat and would take a *very* long time. It would also not be without a considerable amount of disruption I'd imagine, looking at some of the horror stories around both Sky, Virgin's and BT's attempts to do similar in the past Undecided
Windows 10 maybe new, but you'd be forgiven for thinking the bundled mail client is still living in the dark ages Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It only shows emails I've sent from the webmail.  Not emails I've sent from the mail clients.
Compare PN's webmail to BT Mail, Outlook and likes and is safe to say that Plusnet Mail could do with a facelift (that's why I try to avoid using the webmail)
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I don't really want to be using 1990's technology  Shocked Undecided

Using your ISP's email is sooooo 90's.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It only shows emails I've sent from the webmail.  Not emails I've sent from the mail clients.

Which as I've explained, is a limitation of the Windows 10 email client. I have Plusnet mailboxes configured in other email clients on both desktops and mobile devices, and sent emails get copied to the same folder that's visible when using Plusnet Webmail.
Admittedly, our Webmail software could do with an overhaul to make it mobile compliant etc. Hopefully that's something we'll get round to eventually.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@DVORAK I'm only using it as I'm paying £1 per month to have a personal domain.
@BobPullen This isn't just on Windows 10 client but on my iPhone/iPad and Mac Mail client.
Thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@BobPullen This isn't just on Windows 10 client but on my iPhone/iPad and Mac Mail client.

With the iPhones and Mac I believe the client has a n 'IMAP Path Prefix' setting somewhere. If you specify that as 'INBOX' then you should find things start working as you'd expect.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Tried that on iPhone and seems to have done it for new emails sent, so not ones already sent.
Hoping it appears on all devices if I have sent it from a different device and not just the one I send it from?
Thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Tried that on iPhone and seems to have done it for new emails sent, so not ones already sent.

Yeah, not much you can do about that unless you can find somewhere local where the older emails have been stored.
Hoping it appears on all devices if I have sent it from a different device and not just the one I send it from?

Should do. The trick is trying to get all of your devices using the same special folders as Webmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team