cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't recieve email on mobile

justin
Dabbler

Can't recieve email on mobile

I have set up my plusnet email account on my mobile and can send email which arrives at its destination ok. But I can't receive. I've checked all the setting with the plusnet guides and other advice available via a google search and i've tried setting it up as both Pop3 then Imap but still can't recieve emails. I did once earlier today get one email to arrive but it  disappeared after it was opened and nothing since.
The phone is an Android Samsung S3 Mini and its running 4.1.2.
Can anyone suggest what is wrong please?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Can't recieve email on mobile

Justin,
I have no experience whit this device, however to avoid complications only use IMAP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I had the same problem on this phone. I spoke to Plusnet and they gave me the following settings which work fine:
incoming server settings POP3 server mail.plus.net using port 110
outgoing server setting relay.plus.net using port 25.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

You could also try Port 587 on the outgoing server. The rest of the information should be completed as follows:
SMTP Server - relay.plus.net
Security Type - None
Port - 587
Require Sign-In - Ticked
User Name - Your plusnet username
Password - Your plusnet password
justin
Dabbler

Many thanks for your replies. Using the first suggestion (110) I now have this working which is strange because this is one of the setups I tried yesterday having found the info on the net. So I can now send and recieve but when I look at an email on my laptop it disappears from the phone although I have ticked to keep mail on the server.
Anybody any idea why my emails are disappearing please?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Only a guess but have you got it set up to delete from the server when you open it on your laptop? This would explain it disappearing from your phone at the same time I think.  Give PN a call and they will sort this for you.
justin
Dabbler

Very good point... I'll see if I can get through today. Yesterday was appauling. Thanks for the help.
justin
Dabbler

Quote from: artmo
Only a guess but have you got it set up to delete from the server when you open it on your laptop? This would explain it disappearing from your phone at the same time I think.  Give PN a call and they will sort this for you.

Sorted... Many thanks for your help !
artmo
Aspiring Champion

No problem. Glad to have been of help Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Emails disapearing is but one problem when using multiple clients, which is why I recommended IMAP.  In this mode of operation POP3 simply creates confusion for receiving emails.  Then you have the problems of where is a particular sent email?
Using imap you can force all clients to put sent mail on the imap server. That way an email sent from one device is visible on all devices.
I reiterate, for multiple device operation pop3 is a pain in the neck.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

br1anstorm
Rising Star

I found this after starting a new topic on what seems to be the same problem.  My only reason for posting here as well is that - having read through this thread - I cannot figure out whether the OP in this earlier example  has ended up with an IMAP or a POP3 configuration.  More clarity is needed.
I understand and agree with those who recommend IMAP.  I want to set my account up using IMAP.  But the "solution" recommended above by artmo, using port 110, which seems to have worked for the OP, is surely a POP3 arrangement?  So this thread is both confusing and inconclusive.....
A proper explanation would be useful!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Using IMAP is simpler and if configured correctly all devices see all emails.
Only down side is poor management can lead to full server mailbox(es).  A ongoing term storage plan (on just one of the devices) can alievate that issue.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The port for IMAP needs to be 143. br1anstorm is correct that port 110 is for POP3.
David
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Plusnet recommend port 587 for POP3. What difference does this make?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No, port 587 is for SMTP (outgoing) messages though 25 can also be used. relay.plus.net (SMTP) listens on ports 587 and 25; mail.plus.net (POP3) on port 110 and imap.plus.net (IMAP) on 143. Different port numbers will be used when SSL/TLS is made available.
If the wrong port is used the service listening on that port will not support what the email client is trying to do so it won't work. If the wrong port does appear to work this could be because the client knows better and uses the correct one.
David