cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive emails

guyyyy

Can't receive emails

This is the first time I've asked a question here and must stress that I'm not very good with all this new technology. I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 which I'm told runs Android gingerbread software. I can't receive emails (I get a "connot connect server" message when I try) but I can send them OK. I have contacted Plusnet support who have confirmed that my email account has the correct server settings, port numbers etc. They advised me to contact my phone contract provider which is Orange. I've just spent almost 90 minutes talking to two a very patient support people at Orange who talked me through several changes to my phone's settings including setting up a totally new account using their own outgoing server setting and port number. Many things were tried but to no avail. In the end the Orange support person took my login and password and set up an identical account to mine at their end on a Samsung phone which had the same operating software (Android gingerbread). He got the same "cannot connect server" message. He said that my best bet was to ask Plusnet forum so here I am. Can you please help.
Regards
Malcolm Guy
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can't receive emails

Are you trying to connect when connected to the Plusnet broadband or when you are connected to the Orange system
From your description it sounds as though you are trying to contact the Plusnet server via the Orange system
Assuming that this is the case, are you able to download emails when connected to the Plusnet system via your router
Either way is the email server you are using POP3 or IMAP and is it mail.plus.net or imap.plus.net as appropriate
Are you using the email address in the format username+mailbox name
guyyyy

I'm afraid I don't know if I'm trying to send emails from the Plusnet or the Orange system. If you're referring to the outgoing server settings, I was originally using Plusnet's settings that work perfectly well on my desktop PC. When I had my mammoth session talking to Orange's support people one thing they tried (in desperation) was to set up a completely new email account at their end (I had to give them my Plusnet login and password) using their outgoing server setting and port number. The result was the same i.e. "cannot connect server". I don't understand your question about downloading emails on the Plusnet system via my router. I thought that everything I download arrives via my router. Re your question about POP3 or IMAP, Orange tried both but without success. Sorry, I don't understand what "username+mailbox name" means and I wasn't aware that + can be used in this context. I'm sure your post is very understandable by people who know about these things but I'm a pensioner and really don't know as much as you think I do. My shortcoming, not yours.
Regards
Malcolm Guy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When you are trying to send emails what happens when you are away from your house so the phone isn't connected via the router and are you sure that your phone is connecting to the router when you are in your house
I suppose that the other question is whether you can browse the internet from your phone and, if so, is it using the Orange network or via the router.
I believe that when using the Orange network you can't use the Plusnet server as Orange block it on port 25
Note that when Orange tried they would have been using their network with presumably the same block in place
guyyyy

When I'm away from the router and try to send an email I get the same connection error message that I get when I'm using my router (WiFi). I can browse the internet both through my router WiFi and when I have no WiFi signal (I think the latter is called 3G). One thing I tried when talking to Orange's support guy was the outgoing server setting smtp.orange.net with a port number of 587.
Regards
Malcolm Guy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is the problem concerned with inability to *receive* emails, as in the title of this thread, or inability to *send* them which seems to be the topic of recent posts?
If it's *sending* that is the problem you could try setting the outgoing server to relay.plus.net with port 587. You would need to set-up authentication if you are not using your home connection - ie using 3G mobile. Authentication can also be used on your home connection, no need to remove it when at home.
David
guyyyy

Sorry to Oldjim and thanks praxyt for pointing out that It's SENDING emails that results in the connection problem. I can receive them fine. That's my dyslexia kicking in. I've tried the relay.plus.net with Port 587 but without success. I'm afraid I didn't understand your point about authentication. I can't find any reference to this on my Galaxy Ace 2. I have a "secutity type" choice which might be relavent. I have this currently set at "None". Hope my cock up doesn't predudice your further help.
Regards
Malcolm Guy
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Authentication basically means that you have to provide a User ID and password to the server. If the way you've currently set it up doesn't have these things set then the connection will fail.
What options are there for "security type" in the setup?
Edit: I've just checked out the settings for the Android email app. Security type should be set as none and you need to tick the "Sign in" option and provide "username+mailbox" for ID and the password for that mailbox.
I would also suggest that you set up a new mailbox just for authentication with the outgoing PN email server, simply because this info is not sent in a secure connection.
That's RPM to you!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: RPMozley
Edit: I've just checked out the settings for the Android email app. Security type should be set as none and you need to tick the "Sign in" option and provide "username+mailbox" for ID and the password for that mailbox.
I would also suggest that you set up a new mailbox just for authentication with the outgoing PN email server, simply because this info is not sent in a secure connection.

To clarify this, an ID of "username+mailbox" (without the quotes but including the plus sign) is correct only for secondary mailboxes. For the default mailbox an ID of "username" alone is required, with the same password as used for logging into the Member Centre.
This information must have been provided for reading messages (which we understand works OK); the ID and password for signing in on the outgoing mail server (relay.plus.net) is identical to that used for incoming (mail.plus.net or imap.plus.net).
David
guyyyy

Many many thanks. Great support. All email features are working now.
Regards
Malcolm Guy
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. Smiley
David