Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive Emails on Android phone

FIXED
Martini
Hooked

Can't receive Emails on Android phone

Hi,

I created an Plusnet Email account for my wife a few years ago but it was not used until now.

I have set up email on her Android phone and it will send emails but it will not download them from the plusnet server.

First I setup the email using POP3 then IMAP. No errors were reported for the accounts but both act the same sending emails but not receiving.

I logged in to Pusnet webmail and all the test emails are there but not being forwarded.

Has part of the account been disabled due to inactivity? seems odd not to disable it all or is there something else.

15 REPLIES 15
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Can't receive Emails on Android phone

Hello @Martini and welcome to the forums!

Please accept my apologies for the issue in receiving mail.

After checking your account, I can't see that email has been deactivated in any way. Are you using the email client that is installed as default on the mobile phone or another app?

As this is an additional mail box and outgoing mail is functioning correctly, it's likely that the username you have entered is just the username for the account. For additional mailboxes you require username+mailbox name. (The mailbox name is the prefix to the @ symbol.) I have included the relevant incoming mail settings below.

Username: Account username, or if using an additional mailbox, username+(mailbox name)
Password: Your mailbox password

POP3 Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net

POP3 Incoming mail server port: 110

Or

IMAP server (if IMAP is used): imap.plus.net

IMAP server port: 143

SSL: Off for both incoming and outgoing

Let us know how you get on and feel free to attach screenshots of your mail settings excluding sensitive information if the issue persists.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Martini
Hooked

Hi Jubby thanks for the quick reply.

This is an additional mailbox and all the settings look fine. The username and mailbox are correct as I messed around with other combinations and the account failed to verify.

Same result POP or IMAP, messages send but don't receive. No errors given at all.

Thanks

Martini

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Thank you for confirming @Martini and no problem,

As per my previous response, could you kindly take screenshots of the incoming mail settings page excluding any sensitive information such as email addresses as it will help us determine where the issue lies.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Martini
Hooked

The POP3 shot is attached. I will recreate the IMAP when I get chance to access my wifes phone. Unfortunatley it will not allow 2 accounts with the same email address so I have to delete the account and recreate it each time to test things.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello Martini,

Looking at the screen shot provided everything looks setup correctly. Can you try a new password to see if that changes anything. You can set up a new password via the member centre for that mail box, please let us know how you get on.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Might be worth trying a different email app to (what looks like from the screen dump) the standard one. I use the k-9 mail app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en_GB successfully on a number of Android devices with multiple PlusNet mailboxes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Martini
Hooked

Changing the password made no difference.

Anything else to try, otherwise its another email app

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Martini

Before attempting with another client, have you tried logging into the emails via the webmail platform to ensure the login details are working?

From the screenshots you have provided, all the settings seem to be input on your device correctly.

Martini
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestion but it was the first thing I did when the emails did not come through was to check they were on the Plusnet server. I thought there may be some forwarding options blocking the transfer to the mobile.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Martini, are you experiencing the same problem on all mailboxes on the account or only the one in the screenshot you sent previously?

Have you been able to try this on a different mail client to see if the issue is specific to the client you were using?

Do you experience the problem on other broadband connections/mobile data?

Could you also confirm the client you were using previously as I'd be happy try and replicate the issue on the same client using my emails.

Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Martini
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestion,

I tried using email on mobile data and that allows the emails to download (required authentication to be turned on)

but emails would not send.

So at least it is a move forward lol

To send emails my wife must be on wi-fi, to receive emails she must not.

The email cliens is a default one on the samsung galaxy phone, I will try and see exactly what and the version.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've attempted to replicate this on the default mail client for Samsung phone a colleague has, however I've been able to setup a my username.plus.com email address sending and receiving successfully.

Are you ticking the require authentication box in the outgoing server settings part?

This would explain why she's able to send mail on WiFi but not on mobile data, because when you're on a Plusnet WiFi you'll authenticate via the broadband connection instead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Martini
Hooked

She has to tick for one way and uncheck for the other which is ridiculous.

Thanks anyway, got it sorted

Martini
Hooked

I installed K9 in ten minutes in and outbound work. It would have been 5 minutes but I spelt mail wrong Smiley

Thanks to everyone for the assistance, much appreciated.