Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't load emails on new laptop

CHN
Dabbler

Can't load emails on new laptop

Hi all,

I'm struggling to get emails - three different problems, but my main one is that I've bought a new laptop to replace an antiquated one, and I can't get the inbox to load. I'm trying to set it up with the Imap settings, and I've tried every configuration online. I've got as far as the inbox folders loading, and my sent messages loading, but I can't get the emails in the main inbox to load. Whenever I've tried to get it to sync, it just hangs there. I can just about send an email but it takes an age, and it feels like it's stuck. Any help / advice? I need to get this sorted as webmail never ever loads for me (always returns a fetch error), and I get continuous Imap time out errors on my old laptop so I can't access email very well there either. I'm a wee bit stuck.

Bit more info: using Outlook, currently set to port 993 and using STARTTLS, and port 587 for outgoing (did try setting up with POP but that didn't work first time around). I'm a novice at these things, but Gmail got set up and came through on Outlook with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it's a size issue, there are c2000 emails (yes I know I need to delete some - if I can get emails to load on any device anywhere I would!)

15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Can't load emails on new laptop

You can tidy up/ delate e mails using PN's webmail feature.
If your PN e mails worked before make sure you use the identical POP or IMAP configurations,
as on your old PC. Do not allow OUTLOOK to try and configure settings automatically; it'll never
work with PN set up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 164

@CHN wrote:

Bit more info: using Outlook, currently set to port 993 and using STARTTLS, and port 587 for outgoing (did try setting up with POP but that didn't work first time around). I'm a novice at these things, but Gmail got set up and came through on Outlook with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it's a size issue, there are c2000 emails (yes I know I need to delete some - if I can get emails to load on any device anywhere I would!)

This sounds identical to another post I have just updated ... your punctuation seems to infer a mis-reading of a poorly laid out user guide document.  @JonoH ... two in one day?

The incoming server for IMAP settings are...

• Server: imap.plus.net
  • Port: 993
  • Encryption: TLS/SSL
  • Authentication: mailbox name & password

The outgoing SMTP settings are...

• Server: relay.plus.net
  • Port: 587
  • Encryption: STARTTLS
  • Authentication: same as incoming server

Note once you have the connection working, if you find that the Sent / Deleted / Drafts folders populate, but Inbox does not, you will need to set the root folder path to "inbox" (no quotes).  Be sure to wait a good while before doing that, for if the mailbox is large, it might take a good while to download the full mailbox for the first time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CHN
Dabbler

I am very happy to admit user-error - and misreading something sounds about right for me!

Having said that, I actually called Plusnet last night as I was getting so irritated, deleted the account, set up the account with the support of the tech, he did a load of stuff at his end, changed passwords, tried POP (request timed out), managed to get set up with Imap, but it would only download the folders and none of the emails. So he's escalated it, as he tried everything he could and he confirmed all the settings with me (which I hope would override any errors from me originally?).

Webmail hasn't worked reliably for me for about 2 years. I can get to my email page, but then I just get a fetch error before any emails load (emails load probably one out of 25 tries). The tech said the servers are working at max capacity and struggling.

It's looking like I'm going to have to change email provider once I can get access to my existing emails...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

So you are connecting to the email server OK using IMAP?

Have you refreshed the IMAP folder list (right click in the folder panel)?

Does the send / receive activity complete?  Click the progress bar at the bottom of the Outlook after clicking SEND/RECIVE ALL

Do SENT & TRASH folders populate but not INBOX?

You could try increasing the IMAP server timeout to 2 minutes (see File -> select mailbox from drop-down -> Account Settings Dropdown -> Server Settings -> outgoing -> adjust server time out).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CHN
Dabbler

@Townman thanks for trying to help me - I appreciate it! I increased the time out to the max 10 minutes yesterday. I'm guessing it is connecting to the Imap server as it downloaded the folders I had set up on the ancient laptop, but then it starts trying to synchronize and just....keeps going (on the bar) with no emails arriving (I did get a load of sync errors with the first loading - I think it got to about 20 before I deleted the profile). The first time I managed to get the sent items and some of the smaller folders to load but not the inbox. Then I deleted the profile and reinstalled it (using the settings the tech instructed) and the folders came through instantly, but again it just hangs there when it tries to sync. If I do send and receive it does 6 out 7 tasks, then gets stuck there. 

I managed to send one test email, but it can't seem to receive emails. This time around it can't even get the trash or sent items.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm!

There can be some offices with Outlook … which I’ve never bottomed out!! You could try setting the root folder path to inbox and see if that helps.

CHN
Dabbler

I'll try that tonight and see what that does - thank you!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There can be some offices with Outlook …

There can be some issues with Outlook …

Auto-predict text can be a real pain!

CHN
Dabbler

Hi @Townman, I thought I'd give an update on my email issues.

Basically the fetch error on webmail is a known problem, it's linked to lack of capacity on the servers, there is no fix, it's been known about for 12 months, it won't be fixed, and Plusnet are trying to get customers off their email and just use the service as phone and broadband. Originally last Sunday a tech escalated my case as he couldn't get the emails to load, I heard nothing so had to call today again, and the escalations team had just denied the request. Didn't bother telling me. When I questioned that, I was told the escalations team weren't customer facing so it's not their job.

Both techs told me to use Gmail not Plusnet, and today I was told that the failure to load emails on my new laptop is due to the webmail issues, so can't be resolved i.e. I can never get the emails on my new laptop. When I queried how to access my emails, I was told to keep on trying webmail at all times during the day and night, and at some point it should load, then I can get my emails. So I asked whether they could set up a forward on my incoming emails until I can access my address book to tell people (old laptop dying so I can't get Outlook to load that often - hence new laptop). I was told it might be possible, but then all the emails would be deleted and if I haven't managed to access them, I'll be stuffed (my words, not his).

So in a nutshell, there's a known fault. They've known about it for a year, they have no intention of fixing it, gave me no warning whatsoever (or I imagine any other customers that rely on Plusnet for their email address) and couldn't be bothered to get back in touch with me.

So thank you very much for your help - I'm sure if it was a set up issue you would have fixed it for me.

I'm off to change supplier now!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That lot is not entirely correct. I will escalate the matter.

Yes there are some performance issues, but I use Plusnet email on multiple devices with 8 plus email accounts and it all works largely fine.

Repopulating a mailbox on a new laptop could take sometime but not be as difficult as you report. I would look for other concurrent issues - such as is your broadband performance what it should be.

Are you fibre or ADSL?

CHN
Dabbler

I'm ADSL, broadband speed is as expected, I've got a good router (TPLink) which is reliable (Hawawei chip in the local exchange which wasn't compatible with the Plusnet router). In addition my OH downloads and uploads a fair amount of data for his job and has no issues, and I can connect to a large and cumbersome work database which loads fine. I can also get all my Gmails (more than I have in the Plusnet account). I just cannot get onto webmail, and I cannot get the emails on my new laptop. And I do feel like I'm going down the same rabbit hole with Plusnet as c6months ago where I had an error, had repeated promises to call me back, didn't deal with my complaint etc (that was the chip issue - I spent 40 hours on the phone to Plusnet over about 6 weeks - I recorded it - before a BT engineer theorized it was the chip and lent me a BT router).

I think I've run out of energy to chase them, and I don't want to have to stay up throughout the night repeatedly trying to get into Webmail. Sad

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Infuriating. Plusnet is a budget provider so don't expect much from the Hub One or the hopelessly clunky Plusnet webmail. But have a look around this forum and you'll find many of us use the BT HH6 as you have mentioned, using the excellent setup guide on its own thread. As to email, you'll find various unhappy threads still running, but myself and others gave up on PN webmail from the outset. I've seen nothing to change this view, but I still consider PN to offer the best value for money.

Suggest you consider a HH6 from the auction sites (£5 to £20 last time I looked) and use an independent mail supplier, in my case Fastmail with Thunderbird. This has performed perfectly for years and also gives the customer independence when changing ISP.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @CHN 

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you're having with your email accounts. It does look like you've already been provided with support on how to get it set up correctly, so if they're still not loading, it's likely due to an issue on the client's end.

We are aware of some IMAP server errors over the past week or so, but cannot practically intervene I'm afraid. We've instead been directing customers to use their Webmail account for the time being until our team get on top of this. In regards to the fetch error on Webmail, try the following steps to see if you can view your emails:

1.    Log into webmail via the links below:
https://webmail.plus.net
2.    On the inbox list screen, select “List Options" which is the little grid icon on the left of the column title bar
3.    Set sorting column to “None"
4.    Click “save"
5.  Try using webmail again

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
CHN
Dabbler

Nope, that didn’t work. Thank you for the suggestion, but I’ve signed up to BT now. Will be moving to them soon so this will no longer be an issue.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me!