Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Outlook 365 to display any emails

Weystoner1
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Can't get Outlook 365 to display any emails

After a full restore of Windows 10 in S mode on my wife's laptop, Outlook won't show any emails in any folder.  As a test I have sent an email to my own iPad from the laptop, which has been received; I have replied to the email, but neither the outgoing or incoming emails show on the laptop's Outlook.  I have checked the settings (via Control Panel/User Accounts/Email Accounts) to make sure incoming/outgoing servers and ports are correct, and successfully tested them.  In Outlook a 'Sync Issues' tab shows the following:

10:13:04 Synchronizer Version 16.0.13530.20142

10:13:04 Synchronizing Mailbox 'xxxxx@yyyyyy.plus.com'

10:13:04 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Inbox'

10:14:02 Error synchronizing folder

10:14:02                              [800CCC0F-0-0-560]

10:14:02 Done

I would be most grateful for any help in resolving this; at the moment the old adage 'happy wife = happy life' is being sorely tested! 

Regards, Dave

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Can't get Outlook 365 to display any emails

Did Outlook get deleted as part of the restoration of Windows? If not I would try removing then reinstalling it. If you use POP3 or copy old emails to the computer as an archive then make sure you have a back up before starting or you risk ending up with an even unhappier SWMBO!.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Weystoner1
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Baldrick.  Outlook was deleted during the restore and I have reloaded it.  I'm on IMAP4.  I've tried to reinstate the emails on Outlook and Windows Mail, neither of which have worked.  What I don't understand is why the test, which is part of the Windows 10/Outlook email setup procedure, worked, but  emails won't load.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Weystoner1 

Hi Dave,

Personally I would avoid POP3 it might cause even more problems and the PC environment becomes the only store of SWMBO's emails!!!

A quick Google on the error code reported, pointed (amongst many other places) to here - 800CCC0F-0-0-560 Error synchronizing folder - IMAP - Microsoft Community

This points a simple fix, requiring inbox to be specified as the root folder - have you tried this?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Weystoner1
Grafter

Thanks Townman, I’ll try this after I’ve completed all the other jobs she’s lined up for me on daily orders!

Weystoner1
Grafter

I've finally got it sorted, thanks to you,Townman, for posting the fix from the Microsoft Community forum.  I did that, but I still couldn't see my emails. However, I googled the error message and found some info about the View Tab in Outlook.  It seems I had it set to 'Hide'; this must have been the default setting when I reinstalled Office.  It's always the simple things that get us.

Anyway, thanks again, but must dash - full domestic privileges restored etc!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Weystoner1 wrote:

I did that, but I still couldn't see my emails. However, I googled the error message and found some info about the View Tab in Outlook.  It seems I had it set to 'Hide'; this must have been the default setting when I reinstalled Office.

Hi,

Good to know that you've got back in to SWMBO's good books, however...

The VIEW (reading pane?) settings in outlook have nothing to do with the sync error code you reported, so I suspect that you had (at least) two issues.  Have you left the "inbox" suggested fix in place?  If yes, that will have resolved the sync error code.

As for view (reading pane) settings, indeed when reinstalling OUTLOOK it does reset the default display settings, which is to set email preview on, which is generally very bad practice.  If an email contains a virus payload, the reading pane preview display could cause the pay-load to be executed.  Personally I do not use the message preview pane thereby I can delete suspect emails without them being displayed on my PC.

If you turned it off, I would suggest that was best practice ... but I can imagine that SWMBO might not be too happy that she needed to do an extra mouse click to see the email contents!

I hope domestic peace continues to prevail!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Weystoner1
Grafter

Hi Townman, yes I left the ‘Inbox’ fix in place.  After I made the change I was still getting sync error messages, but since I changed the View setting the sync error folder has gone.  Thanks for the tip regarding the viewing pane; I have now switched this off.

Regards, Dave