Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find sent emails ...

Kirenzi
Hooked

Can't find sent emails ...

Hi!

I use an iPad and a Chromebook.  On my iPad, I am set up so the "Mail" option uses my Plusnet email account.  When I send an email, I can't "find" it on my iPad.  When I open my Plusnet account on my Chromebook, there is nothing in my "sent" section.  It is all most puzzling!  Can anyone shed any light on the mystery?

Also, I can't delete received emails to my iPad.  I go through the action, but either I get a message saying it can't be deleted at this time, or it just reappears.  So, having accumulated a vast number, I logged into the Plusnet site today to delete these there.  Now, call me a numpty but .... I can't seem to find a simple "delete" button?  I have clicked on everything.  I've accidentally moved something (... though to where I couldn't say) and I've accidentally reported something else as spam.  I can load up an email and then drag it by its title to the "deleted" bit.  Is that the only way?  And how do you then empty the "deleted" folder?

Any help appreciated as I'm feeling a tad frustrated with it all.

10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Can't find sent emails ...

You can control/option + click each message to select it and then use the right-click context menu or delete key on your keyboard. There's a guide available here.

Regarding the iPad issue, try changing the 'IMAP path prefix' to 'INBOX'.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Kirenzi
Hooked

Thank you.  I have now mastered deleting. Wink

Any ideas where emails I have sent might be?  That folder is empty, yet it should have around 30 items in it.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I was wandering around the PlusNet Webmail email settings recently - and found extra folders! When I ticked them they appeared as the attached listing. Note two sent folders "Sent" and "Sent Items" and two "Deleted Items" folders.

I concluded these were generated by my Windows Phone but haven't found a way to alter the settings to combine them. However now I have them enabled in Webmail I can at least find things easier and transfer files if I need to.

Perhaps it's the same with an iPad?

Kirenzi
Hooked

Thank you for your reply.

What puzzles me is, as shown in your link, there is a "sent" folder, just above "junk".  This is the same for me when viewing my inbox on my Chromebook.  Strangely, it is empty.  Now, I have never sent an email from my Chromebook.  I always send from my iPad, as I tend to attach photos and that is the easiest way.  But, I would have thought that any email sent from my Plusnet email address should end up in "sent", wherever I view the "sent" section from ... if you see what I mean.  Obviously my iPad is not synchronised with my Chromebook (given Apple and Google are not pals as such Wink), but that shouldn't matter as my Plusnet email is independent of both and could be logged into on any internet device.  If I send a Hotmail email via my iPad it still turns up in the "sent" section of my Hotmail when viewed via my Chromebook.  

If I can't view sent emails on my iPad, so be it.  Life will go on.  But I would like a record of these accessible somewhere.  I sold a very expensive item and did all the "paperwork" via my iPad as many photos were needed.  I would have liked to keep that correspondence, just in case of a future query.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You can set it to bcc to yourself? Or if not manually bcc it?
Kirenzi
Hooked

Doh!  Now why didn't I think of that!  Excellent idea! Thumbs_Up

decomplexity
Rising Star

On iPad and iPhone email setup, you can select which folder is used to store Sent mail.:

Under Advanced (settings):

Under Mailbox Behaviours, click Sent Mailbox

There should now be two sections: On my IPad [iPhone] and On the Server

under On the Server, scroll down to ‘Sent’ and click it

Click the top-left return button until you get to the Account screen where a Done button should appear top right. Click it.

And re DRJ's reply above, Windows Phone famously does not have the option to select a Sent box. It just uses Sent Items, and if your IMAP email service uses Sent, tough: you end up with two 'sent' mailboxes!

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Kirenzi
Hooked

Thank you for your reply, decomplexity.  

Unfortunately, I am stumped at the first hurdle as I cannot find any "advanced" settings.  Could you guide me there?

Smiley

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Taking it step by step:

• Tap settings
  • Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
  • Tap the appropriate account in the Accounts section on the right
  • Tap the Account line in the IMAP section which should give a pop-up
  • Scroll to the bottom of the pop-up, tap Advanced
  • That will show Mailbox Behaviours at the top
  • Tap Drafts Mailbox, Sent Mailbox and Deleted Mailbox in turn. For each tap the appropriate folder in the On the Server section (Drafts, Sent, Trash). A tick will appear against the selection
  • Tap Advanced at the top to go back one screen
  • In Move Discarded Messages Into tap Deleted Mailbox
  • Tap Account to go back one screen
  • Tap Done to finish and Mail, Contacts... to exit

Repeat the above steps to set-up any additional Plusnet email accounts Smiley

David
Kirenzi
Hooked

Most excellent instructions, Spraxyt! Thumbs_Up  Thank you very much.  All worked as you described!