cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access madasafish email using Mac Mail (desktop or IOS) since plusnet refreshed account.

dblevins

Can't access madasafish email using Mac Mail (desktop or IOS) since plusnet refreshed account.

Wonder if anyone else having similar problems.

Called support with a question about my account which was answered and required no action. When on the phone they said they would refresh my account too. They said it would take about 2 hours for the account to reactivate.

Since this has been done I have not been able to log on using Mac Mail on either desktop or IOS device at all. I keep getting the "Unable to verify account name or password" message. I can access my email using plusnet webmail so the actual account and username/passwords are correct. However...I really need to be able to use Mac Mail to access my emails as I have lots of folders and email stored in it. The support department are at a loss as why this is. No settings have been changed by me and account has been working well for years up until the refresh. Anyone else had same experience?

Thanks in advance

Dave

6 REPLIES 6
dblevins

Re: Can't access madasafish email using Mac Mail (desktop or IOS) since plusnet refreshed account.

Now fixed after 12 days and numerous calls, research etc!!!! Yey!!

Just in case anybody else finds themselves in the same situation.....

1. If one of the plusnet tech team do an "email component refresh" they must follow the correct procedure ...there are two...one for plusnet email and a different one for madasafish email. Ask them to make sure the correct one is carried out.

2. When my first refresh was completed it was presumably the wrong one which stopped my mac mail working on desktops and mobile devices (webmail still worked). Nearly all support staff (who were all very pleasant and polite) kept telling me that the outgoing server setting should be smtp.madasafish.com and they also emailed me the settings as confirmation. The last one, Matthew, did the madasafish refresh and suggested I try mail.madasafish.com for the outgoing mail server (which is the same as for the incoming mail server) and it worked. Only one of the other support staff suggested this previously but this didn't work previously presumable because the incorrect refresh had been done. Who knows exactly which it was but problem fixed for me now. Thanks to all staff for help and if a user ends up in this situ I hope reading this speeds a resolution up for you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Can't access madasafish email using Mac Mail (desktop or IOS) since plusnet refreshed account.

Hi,

This really does sound odd!

This post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-change-your-outgoing-server-on-a-mail-client/m-p/1606155#... clearly advises that the OUTBOUND server is smtp.madasafish.com

Whereas this http://www.madasafish.com/support/email/setup/settings/outlook_2003_check_settings.shtml rather old MAAF configuration guide specifies mail.madasafish.com for the SMTP server.

@JW can you please clarify? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dblevins

All still working fine with the mail.madasafish.com in the smtp server outgoing setting. Fixed the problem.

Dave

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

Both addresses, smtp. and mail., point to the same IP address. I believe the smtp version of the address was added for either some temporary work or work that wasn't completed.

Jon W
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the clarification, however in the context that one seems to not work for some users and the referenced documentation refers to it (the ne created for "some temporary work or work that wasn't completed"), should the forum documentation be modified?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

Hi,

The only things that could impact this is if SSL/TLS was in use and the server names don't match the certificates. As that's not the case here, there's nothing else that would care about the address that you've connected to when it comes to authentication. What's more likely, is that the first refresh has caused a password sync issue within the platform, which is why webmail works when an email client doesn't.

Jon W
 Plusnet