Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can receive emails but not send. Webmail is OK

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Can receive emails but not send. Webmail is OK

Using Thunderbird email when sending emails suddenly stopped working.  Says password is wrong.

Can still receive emails.  Tried webmail and it is all working.

Type password back into thunderbird and it says wrong password.

Tried email client on phone. It has the same problem as Thunderbird on the PC.

How can the password be wrong when incoming email still works and webmail works?

Confused.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can receive emails but not send. Webmail is OK

Are you sending from a non-plusnet connection ? If so it's probably an IP reputation problem. Most email clients dont seem to be able to distinguish the difference and just report username/ password problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Sending is working again. Must have been a hiccup with relay.plus.net

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Tried from both a plusnet connection and a non-plusnet connection.  Same result.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If it fails on a Plusnet connection then it is likely that the SMTP settings are wrong.

If it works on a Plusnet connection and not on others then you have picked up a black balled IP address. I have seen very intermittent SMTP connectivity at the same location (my local) as their IP address goes in and out of black balling. There are no hiccups with relay.plus.net as you suggest.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

It's started again just now. Sad

Sending email from mail clients says password wrong (even though it is right).

This is from both Plusnet connection and also non Plusnet connection.

Sending email from webmail says Error 535.

Incoming email is working fine.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@cjags Error 535 is definitely an authentication failure. It doesn't seem to be a general problem though, I've just tested using Thunderbird and it works fine. I am using SSL on port 465 though...

cjags
Aspiring Pro

I started a new topic because this time, even webmail is affected.

Looking at other SMTP Error 535 topics, this should not be possible with webmail.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Agreed , you wouldn't have expected webmail to be using smtp authentication, when it's running on a Plusnet server.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@MisterW

The webmail application is an IMAP / SMTP client. It logs into those servers exactly the same as a PC / tablet / phone client would.

I think I’ve just replied to the new topic - I suspect that the password on the SMTP server is out if sync. Changing the password through manage my mail might a a pragmatic approach here.