cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only view a few days worth of emails on webmail.

stocco

Can only view a few days worth of emails on webmail.

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I can only see a few days (6 -8) worth of my inbox emails when I use webmail.

They are still on my email on my main PC, but dissapear from view when I look on my phone, ipad etc.

I'm guessing this may be a set up thing (?) but I'm struggling to sort so any help would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

6 REPLIES 6
caravaner

Re: Can only view a few days worth of emails on webmail.

Hi, I'm in the same boat. I log in on the plusnet webmail site, go to the inbox, the emails appear, then disappear.

There is no way of recovering them on the webmail system. I have raised a ticket, if I get a response I will post it. You are not alone!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @stocco thanks for your post.

Sounds to me like you've got your PC set up to automatically remove mail from the server once it collects the mail and downloads it to your device. Do you know if it's using POP3 or IMAP? 

A good way to find out be to go into the settings of the email program you use and check the 'incoming mail server' for POP3 it'd be using mail.plus.net and for IMAP it'd be using imap.plus.net

There should also be an option like remove mail from server once collected or after x number of days. If you need further help, what would be the mail program you're using? I.e. Outlook, Thunderbird etc.

Let us know how you get on. 

Hi @caravaner 

Pretty much the same answer as above, do you have a mail client using the POP3 protocol by any chance?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stocco

Hi Gandalf,

Spot on!

The 'clear messages from the server 'box was ticked and it was set to one week.

Thank you so much for your help. You don't know how long that has been frustrating me!

Cheers

stocco

Hi,

Gandlaf's reply was spot on for me and I hope it was for you too.

Good luck

Cheers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Using POP3 anywhere when using more than one email client is not wise. It tends to cause confusion.

A POP3 client keeps it’s sent emails to itself. If you have more than one POP3 client each keeps its own store of emails it sent to its self. There is some risk that multiple POP3 clients (misconfigured) could have different subsets of your email inbox.

Using only Imap configured clients avoids all of those risks (setting aside some odd gremlins) all clients have a common view of the inbox, sent items and usually draft items. The latter allows you to start an email on one device, save it to drafts and then pick it up n another device, finish it and send it.

IMAP rocks whilst POP3 sucks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @stocco No problem and I'm glad to see that got to the bottom of this and sorted it Thumbs_Up

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet