cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only send one email at a time !

polly18
Dabbler

Can only send one email at a time !

Recently, and suddenly, Windows Live Mail will only send one email and then stop, I have to exit and press send again to get the next one to go.
No error message is displayed, just says 'sending message 2' but it never goes.
No problem receiving all emails (but these don't come via PlusNet).
I repaired Live Essentials via Control Panel but no improvement.
Microsoft suggested fixes that I think are irrelevant like reconfiguring my email account (nothing has changed) and disabling security (no thanks).
Why would it send one but not the next one ?
Could there be a problem with the PlusNet server ?
15 REPLIES 15
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Can only send one email at a time !

Are you sending from your Plusnet address via relay.plus.net ?
Do you have multiple to/cc/bcc addresses? Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Does the email have a large attachment?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

polly18
Dabbler

Thanks for replies. Answers as follows.
Yes, sending via relay.plus.net
It makes no difference if there are multiple addresses or a single one.
(I tried sending 2 just to myself)
It makes no difference if there are attachments or not.
This began suddenly and no settings have changed.
Previously I could have 6 or more messages in Outbox and all would go smoothly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: rufford155
Microsoft suggested fixes that I think are irrelevant like reconfiguring my email account (nothing has changed) and disabling security (no thanks).

I missed this snippet in your original post - in this context, what do you mean by "security"?  Note that (presently) PlusNet does not support SSL authentication to the SMTP server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

polly18
Dabbler

Microsoft suggested disabling antivirus !!!!
I don't know what SSL is or whether it is enabled so how do I check and/or disable it, if that is what I need to do?
As stated before however, no email config/settings have been changed for years so why suddenly does it send one message but none of those following?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
If you know nothing about SSL, then it is unlikely to be relevant.
You can check this in the mail account settings which ought to look something similar to the screen captures below.
Whilst you are having the reported difficulty, it would be worthwhile running a ping relay.plus.net in a CMD prompt.
Microsoft suggested fixes that I think are irrelevant like reconfiguring my email account (nothing has changed)
Why would it send one but not the next one ?

Nothing might not have been changed intentionally, but the details could have been scrambled, but that would not explain the first apparently being sent.
Can you be certain...
1. The first was sent successfully?
2. There is no hidden error message window?

polly18
Dabbler

Email setup screenshots attached, SSL is not enabled.
I know the first goes OK by sending 2 to myself, after halting the sending there's only 1 in outbox and that will then send OK too.
Screenshots attached of WLM stuck sending screen and error screen which is blank.
Incidentally, I should have mentioned this before, I have 2 laptops - one here in UK (Win7) and one abroad (Vista)  - and this is happening on both!
That's why I believe it's a PlusNet problem and not WLM.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some thoughts...
Do you have the same issue if you use relay.freeuk.net as the outgoing server?
Try ticking the 'My server requires authentication' box and entering your PN username & password
Have you tried turning off anti virus as a test?  Some AV software intercepts connections to SMTP servers to perform outbound email scanning...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The above refers to the outbound server.
What is certain is that when abroad (or anywhere when not connected to the PlusNET network) to use PlusNet's relay service you MUST use an authenticated logon to the SMTP server using port 587.  If this is not configured on the overseas device, I am surprised you can send at all!

polly18
Dabbler

Pwatson :
1) I didn't think I could send through freeuk as plusnet is my ISP. If you are sure it would work I might try it.
2) What is PN ?
3) Why would AV stop the second but not the first? And, if so, why hasn't it ever done it before?
Townman :
I'm sorry, I was wrong about the the laptop abroad - it's a different, local, ISP over there with no such problems. (Just a senior moment probably!)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

1) Testing via the Freeuk SMTP server will be a good test.  It should work but may not and. if it does, you can see if the problem of sending more than one email is replicated.
2)  PN = PlusNet
3)  The AV shouldn't make any difference but it is possible that a recent update has broken something.  No harm in trying...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I'm sorry, I was wrong about the the laptop abroad - it's a different, local, ISP over there with no such problems. (Just a senior moment probably!)

Do not worry, it happens - this stuff is very complex if you don't understand how it works...
Generally you can pick up email from anywhere, regardless of how you connect to the internet.
Generally you can send email from anywhere IF you use the email SMTP (relay or outbound) email server ON THE NETWORK to which you are connected (as per your overseas set up).  This though is very inconvenient when moving around as you need to change things each time you connect to a different network.
This is normally addressed by using AUTHENTICATED connection to you email provider's SMTP service. AUTHENTICATED means that the email program needs to log on to the SMTP server.
For PlusNet the SMTP server is relay.plus.net the user name and password are the ACCOUNTNAME and the same password you use to log onto the portal.
If your email service is tough somewhere else (FreeUK) then you ought to try using that in place of the PlusNet server - that way it should still work if you connect over a different network.
If you need more guidance, please ask.

polly18
Dabbler

I have just updated to Windows Live Mail 2012 (I read that 2011 was now insecure).
But it is still all the same as before.
The workaround is never to have more than one message in Outbox !
I am going abroad for 4 weeks now so I am going to check what WLM is doing there before trying anything else here.
polly18
Dabbler

OK, I am now abroad on my other laptop and I am getting exactly the same as in the UK !!!!
I cannot update to WLM 2012 because this machine is running Vista.
I am sending through a different, local internet provider here.
Therefore it is definitely WLM itself that is causing this and cannot be a PlusNet problem.
I can find nothing in options/settings to alter it.
I am asking on Microsoft Community but they are not being terribly helpful.
They are telling me to 'reconfigure' but if it is happening with 2 ISP's and I am receiving all emails with no problem I'm sure it must be WLM itself.
It looks like I just have to live with it from now on?