cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only send emails from my iPhone when connected to home wifi.

DerekSmith

Can only send emails from my iPhone when connected to home wifi.

Hi,

I have an iPhone SE. I can send emails via Plusnet when connected to my home wifi but not via mobile data or other wifi. I can receive emails. I am able to send and receive emails from a Gmail account which is also on my iPhone.

My wife has the same phone and same configuration but does not have this problem.
I have seen similar issues on these forums but not this one. Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Can only send emails from my iPhone when connected to home wifi.

@DerekSmith in order to send via the PlusNet servers when not connected to your home wifi, you will need to configure the outgoing server for authenticated SMTP. https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DerekSmith

Thanks. I'm set up for authentication on SMTP using my password. Is that what you mean?

Also SSL is selected (whatever that is!)

Going to server port 587

DerekSmith

PS Hi, I went back and, not for the first time, re-entered my password for SMTP authentication and it is now working!

Thanks for your advice

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, you need to use accountname and password. You should specify STARTTLS with port 587 not SSL

edit:posts crossed , good to see you've got it working now

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DerekSmith

Interesting, thanks. I don't have STARTTLS as an option. If this comes up again where would I find that?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Is there a TLS option ?

Maybe the iPhone treats ssl and tls as a single option and selects as appropriate according to the port