Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not connect to email server

FIXED
1974chrisb
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can not connect to email server

I am no longer able to send or receive email via wifi.  My wifi connection is fine as I am able to access the Internet, webmail is fine but the email apps on both my wife's android phone and my iPhone have stopped working, saying they are unable to connect to the mail server.  I have removed and reconfigured the email accounts on both phones but no joy. I am able to both send and receive if I switch off wifi on the iphone (i.e. via cellular data) but the android phone is not working on cellular data either. It does work if I connect it to the iPhone as a hotspot though. The only thing that has changed is the android phone is new but did work fine initially. I have restarted everything multiple times but no joy... Help!!!

We are using legacy Metronet.co.uk email accounts rather than the standard plus.net ones.

13 REPLIES 13
fr66

Re: Can not connect to email server

I am having the same problem with my Metronet.co.uk email. I am unable to received or send emails. The last two days a few emails were delivered to my phone. But not to my laptop or tablet, which was strange because my mails are sync

Today no email was delivered.

PlusNet said they are aware of the problem. They said that don't know when they will be able to f

fr66

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a Metronet.co.uk email address. PlusNet is aware of the problem, and it is unclear when this problem would be resolve.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Sorry rather an obvious question but are you sure you are using the correct incoming and outgoing mail servers? Are the Metronet servers still in use?

Rather than using webmail, have you tried connecting to your email mailboxes using a client on a desktop or laptop computer?

Were the operating systems or the email apps updated on your android  or iPhone devices just before email stopped working? I'm wondering if account settings now default to using SSL/TLS which won't work.

David
1974chrisb
Hooked

Thanks for your reply David. I hadn't tried a desktop client as we just use webmail (mainly pick up email on phones) but I have installed one and tried to configure the accounts with the same result - no server connection if using broadband connection but no problem if I connect the desktop wifi to mobile phone cellular data.  I'm thinking that this means the servers are up and that my account config is ok so the problem is in the broadband connection?  Everything was fine until earlier this week.  I can't recall agreeing to any updates to anything but will check with the missus.  Appreciate any help...don't worry about seemingly obvious questions.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Though I'm a Force9 customer I've confirmed the Metronet relay works by sending a message using telnet in a command window,

telnet relay.metronet.co.uk 25
220 avasout06 smtp relay.metronet.co.uk
ehlo relay
250-avasout06 hello [212.159.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250 OK
mail from:<myname@myusername.force9.co.uk>
250 <myname@myusername.force9.co.uk> sender ok
rcpt to:<another@myusername.force9.co.uk>
250 <another@myusername.force9.co.uk> recipient ok
data
354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
to:another@myusername.force9.co.uk
subject:test using metronet relay

to see if it is working
250 DsLT1t00A0a3eHw01sNBN9 mail accepted for delivery
quit
221 avasout06 smtp closing connection

The message was received. Are you able to see if that works for you (substituting your own details, of course)?

This is a shot in the dark but were you moved to the new network just before email stopped working? What does a visit to the gateway checker at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/ display?

David
dfoss1
Hooked

Hiya

I have the same problem but using Outlook2003 and my Metronet emails - see my recent thread entitled "0x800408fc - my Metronet emails get receiving errors......"

I have the same fault on two computers - my setup is correct and un-altered - PlusNet techie spent half an hour on my machine and concluded the fault was at his end - I am still awaiting an update - he did not raise a ticket for me so I can't follow progress yet - but there was a similar issue  many years ago with the old Parbin servers apparently when PlusNet were taking over.

dfoss1

When you get to my age everyday is a new experience

dfoss1
Hooked

OK - I have a ticket now - will keep you posted

dfoss1

1974chrisb
Hooked

Thanks David,

I tried the telnet test but could not connect to the server here either.  I tried the same procedure using other plus.com addresses and it worked fine so syntax etc ok.  Interestingly I retried the metronet.co.uk addresses using my phone data connection and got as far as rcpt to:<*********> at which point my wife's address was rejected as recipient.  When I swap addresses, her address is ok to send but mine is rejected to receive.  I have no idea whether this is significant or not!!!

The gateway checker didn't like me either: -

Which gateway

Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

Posting the following information as a reply to the Gateway Checker Update topic in the Community Announcements forum will help us to diagnose the problem.

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 6.009 ms

Thanks again for your help.

1974chrisb
Hooked

Thanks dfoss1 hope you get sorted and look forward to your update.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@1974chrisb The problem with the Gateway Checker is identical to that reported in the Gateway Checker Issues topic here. Fixing it requires Plusnet to make the gateways identify themselves but it will be a low priority task to get that done.

However for present purposes the output confirms you have been moved to the new network. This might or might not be relevant to the problem you are having with connecting to the Metronet servers; only Plusnet can confirm which applies.

Regarding the sentence I've highlighted in red below

@1974chrisb wrote:
I tried the telnet test but could not connect to the server here either. I tried the same procedure using other plus.com addresses and it worked fine so syntax etc ok. Interestingly I retried the metronet.co.uk addresses using my phone data connection and got as far as rcpt to:<*********> at which point my wife's address was rejected as recipient. When I swap addresses, her address is ok to send but mine is rejected to receive. I have no idea whether this is significant or not!!!

... do you mean you tried connecting to relay.plus.net port 25 and that worked?

When tethered to the mobile phone connection failing at rcpt to: could be due to an off-net connection needing authentication. This would require auth login to be entered (before mail from:) followed by the base64 encoded account username and password (in answer to separate 334 base64 encoded prompts).

However I think you've taken this as far as you can, it needs Plusnet to investigate now. Have you contacted support?

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@dfoss1 @1974chrisb, can you try again for me please and let me know if you're still experiencing problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dfoss1
Hooked

Mine has just started to receive emails again - I will check further and come back if any remaining problems.

dfoss1

Edit - I can now send and receive from both Metronet and PlusNet so seems sorted

Many thanks

dfoss1

1974chrisb
Hooked

Mine is also working again now. Thanks to everyone for your help and thanks to Plusnet for sorting it out.

cheers,

Chris