cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone suggest a *secure* alternative to PlusNet for email?

LSW

Can anyone suggest a *secure* alternative to PlusNet for email?

I've begrudgingly lived with PlusNet's inaction to implement any form of secure email (SSL) over the previous months and years.
However, now that I am starting to access my email more and more often from my smartphone - and seeing as (based on some recent posts to this forum) it looks like PlusNet have no intention of implementing any acceptable solution - I've decided to jump ship and start hosting my email somewhere else. I can't live with every Tom, Dick and Harry being able to snoop my passwords sent in plain-text.
I wondered if anyone here has done the same and/or could suggest an alternative email hosting solution. I need something with reasonable storage (~2Gb or higher), preferably that supports IMAP idle and IMAP keywords (so that I can carry on using Thunderbird). I am happy to use a free service (if it's reliable), but I'm not averse to paying a modest amount if necessary.
I don't want to use Gmail (as I'm wary of trusting Google with all my personal email), and I've found Yahoo flaky at times.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
26 REPLIES 26
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Can anyone suggest a *secure* alternative to PlusNet for email?

I suggest either live.com (which allows https) or a pay for host which I used for a few years 1and1, allows webmail & secure but you will need to pay for a domain.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I run my own domain, have done for 10+ years. I used to host my own server (secure but expensive), then went for web hosting (cheaper), but eventually settled for gmail hosting my email. WHY it is free, has been secure and relatively spam free. I still access it via my domain address, it just pops up a gmail front end. With 7+Gb free I don't see me moving from it.
Unless you have something to hide/are paranoid there is nowt wrong with gmail as a host.
kmilburn
Grafter

Having things you wish to keep private (or hide as you say) doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong or illegal!
As you appear to keen on transparency, you're more than welcome to publish every email you send or receive so everyone can see you've got nothing to hide!
Don't forget,  with these 'free'  services,  you are the product, not the customer.
If you want for all of your email to be scanned for profiling and selective advertising,  feel free.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I personally have NEVER had any advertising from Google from my email account with them. I use Thunderbird to get my email, and if I use web mail I have ADBLOCK installed anyway.
It is now over 2 years since I moved my domain to them, and they haven't targeted me with any spam.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Hairy
I personally have NEVER had any advertising from Google from my email account with them.

To repeat what kmilburn said, you are the product not the customer.
A key factor in profiling is not limited to targetting adverts at you, it's forming a picture of you, your buying habits, hobbies, sexual preferences, etc and selling that information on to others. What they do with that information is up to them, but I can't see why they'd limit their actions to sending you spam.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

And do you think that is limited to Google? Tesco/Asda/Coop/all supermarkets/ISP's/anybody that repeatedly sells you something. (M$ OS's phone home repeatedly do you KNOW what it sends back to the mothership ?)
If you believe that isp provided email is secure then you are more of a fool than I am, but you are more targeted by using a browser that doesn't have adblocking/tracking killing than you are by using google/gmail.
The ONLY secure method of keeping email is to pgp it and run your own server, but most of us will not go to that length.
MJN
Pro

I run my own mail server but that's besides the point - Google openly admit they scrape your emails. If you're happy with that then fine, but please don't try and convince anyone their service is 'free' just because the monetary cost is zero.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I never said that the service was free as in freedom, but free as in beer. If you have issues with them "scraping" your emails then use someone else, but all the big "free" services will do similar.
Up to the OP whether they want to allow that, I have no issues with it.
NedLudd
Grafter

Not having SSL email has never bothered me, and I've been running my own domains for about 15/20 years!
Geoff,
York.
MJN
Pro

Out of curiosity, what has been the reason for not implementing SSL, and what MTA platform were/are they run on?
15/20 years means your quite an 'old timer' at this... and I mean that in a complimentary way! What's the oldest domain you run?
MJN
Pro

Quote from: Hairy
And do you think that is limited to Google? Tesco/Asda/Coop/all supermarkets/ISP's/anybody that repeatedly sells you something.

Are you claiming that Plusnet perform profiling using the contents of our e-mail?
(Before you drop yourself in it, be very careful what you say. It could be considered libellous if you claim something which turns out not to be true).
HairyMcbiker
All Star

They may they may not, but what is probably sold is "cleaned" data.
NB I did not claim PN did it you took it that way.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: MJN
Out of curiosity, what has been the reason for not implementing SSL, and what MTA platform were/are they run on?
15/20 years means your quite an 'old timer' at this... and I mean that in a complimentary way! What's the oldest domain you run?

My oldest domain is wigginton-york.co.uk although the website was first built in 2000. I own about a dozen domains in total.
I transferred all my domains to FastHosts in 1999 so I can't tell you when I first registered them!
Geoff,
York.
MJN
Pro

And howcome you've never enabled SSL on any of them? Do you not see any risk whatsoever in usernames/passwords being transmitted in the clear?
I'm not trying to stitch you up here. I am genuinely curious as to what the reasons are, particularly given you've had plenty of experience in the area.